JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you running oversized tires, what tire pressure do you run (on pavement)?

I have the 37" BFG KM2's. If I recall correctly, they call for 30psi (maybe a bit more?). I've been running them at 28psi.

For those of you with bead locked wheels, what are you running when off-road...8psi? 5psi?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
For those of you running oversized tires, what tire pressure do you run (on pavement)?

I have the 37" BFG KM2's. If I recall correctly, they call for 30psi (maybe a bit more?). I've been running them at 28psi.

For those of you with bead locked wheels, what are you running when off-road...8psi? 5psi?
I'm running 37" Goodyear MTR and I've searched all over and found they actually track better on the highway with about 35 PSI. I've run as low as 24 PSI and the ride feels good with low pressure but they tend to drift more. Off road I run about 9 PSI sometimes 8 PSI, but I don't have bead locks. I'm thinking 6 to 8 PSI would do just fine for starters, then go lower.

Welcome back by the way. You still gonna be at Tellico this weekend?

G

·
0 Posts
I have 35's and am running 35 psi. I've tried pressures from 27 to 35 and find that I like 35 the best so far. Offroad I air down to 10 or 11.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I have no clue what is "right" with these mud grapplers. I have to chalk test them again now that I have a some miles on them.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I have no clue what is "right" with these mud grapplers. I have to chalk test them again now that I have a some miles on them.
As he says, chalking is the best way to find out what is best for your jeep and tire combo. I run 28 pounds on the street and vary my offroad pressure depending on what I am doing. If it's an easy joy ride, then I just go to 14 to soften the ride. If there's big rocks involved I go to 9-10. :beer:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I hate the "Chalk test" It requires you to chalk the tire, drive, check it. It does not account very well for heat, load etc. You would have to carry chalk with you every where and do this often.

Here is a MUCH simply way to do this.

Drive you Jeep. ANYTIME you stop touch the tire in 3 spots. You want to feel the inner and outer edges.

If the inner strip is warmer than the outer edges then you have too much pressure. If the outer strips are warmer than the center you do not have enough pressure.

If one side is warmer than the other, your alighnment is off.

The best part of this is you can adjust your pressure on they fly for road trips, loads, passengers etc. Every Jeep will be slightly different due to mods, etc.

You many be amazed at how low the pressure needs to be on big rubber to where them flat.

I have gotten 60K out of MTRs and other tires by setting them this way.

Simply, easy, no special tools needed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
35's with a 7.5 rim and run 30 on the street and 7-8 off road.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I run 40PSI in my 35x12.5 Cooper STTs. If it drops below 37 in the warm months, for some reason my TPI goes off constantly. But 40 actually gives me a more controllable, if not bumpier, ride on the streets. Less than 40 and I get a bunch of bump steer and wobble.

I'm sure it's a bit over-inflated, but my wear "seems" pretty even.

!c

·
Registered
630 Posts
I run my 35s at 29 on the road and 8 off the road with bead locks. being an e rated tire that would be like you probably running 10-11 off road.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I'll keep it at 28...seems to be fine, but thought it odd that a higher psi was recommended for them.

Off-road I think I'll drop them down to 10 for starters and then 6 if I notice I need more grip.

RotorHead...yep, I'm leaving for Tellico tomorrow and staying until Monday (maybe Tuesday). See you there! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I guess I'll keep it at 28...seems to be fine, but thought it odd that a higher psi was recommended for them.

Off-road I think I'll drop them down to 10 for starters and then 6 if I notice I need more grip.

RotorHead...yep, I'm leaving for Tellico tomorrow and staying until Monday (maybe Tuesday). See you there! :smokin:
Welcome home. :thefinger::beer:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
the heavier your load is, the more psi you need. the higher psi recommended for the tire is probably for a vehicle that weighs a lot more than your jeep.

the chalk test will give you the most even wear pattern, but not necessarily the best handling or fuel economy.

if you have it as low as the chalk test has you set the pressure, you also have a lot more rolling resistance, and less fuel economy and not as good handling.

i only go to about 15 when off-road, but i don't have beadlocks and want to make sure i don't lose a bead. i'm sure i can go lower safely, but don't want to risk it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts