JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the factory pressure monitors in aftermarket wheels? I have a set of Eagle Alloy 185 Series now with 35x12.50-15 MTRs. I am quickly getting tires of the chime and the dash light because the monitors are missing. If the factory won't work, are there any aftermarket parts that will work with the Jeep system?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is now. Beginning with the 08 model year the feds have once again decided we are too stupid to look out for ourselves.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We went through the same thing when we bought new rims for my wife's '05 Grand Cherokee. The new rims were shaped differently, so the pad on the factory sensors could not be pressed flush against the inside of the rim. They stuck out and would have gotten ripped off when the new tires were mounted. We just left them out.

I believe the TP sensors have pads that come in 2 angles - 20 & 40 degrees. You need to determine which one will work for you. There are a couple businesses on eBay that sell sensors. Also, check with the manufacturer of your wheel. They may be able to tell you which one you need.

Oh...and check to see if you can just pull a fuse to disable the system. I seriously doubt that it would be that simple, though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I intend to. I've ordered my Pro Comp wheels and they should be in this Friday. At that point I'll figure out what I need to do to drill them for Staun internal beadlocks and go to town.

I've read on a variety of the other forums that the TPMS can be re-flashed to as low as 28psi as the target pressure, basically allowing you to get to 22psi before it freaks on you. OBTW, if this info is wrong folks, please correct me. :grinpimp:

A

·
0 Posts
I know people have done it, Alec W put pressure monitors in his AEV beadlocks.
I did put some in my AEV wheels but they won’t register because I set my pressure at 28 PSI (with 37” tires anything more would be too hard). My dealer thinks he can reset the default PSI for me but said he won’t know for sure until he tries.

I’ve been lazy and haven’t bothered to take it in or done any experiments with higher PSI. Maybe I’ll do something soon and have some answers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought two new sets of wheel/tires and paid $7000 for TPMS sensors. Now I find out that I need to flash for them. I'm running 35s at 32 psi. I wish i'd have saved the cash and just lived with the ding-ding-ding. After a month I've already pretty much tuned it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone is interested, I have what I would consider some good news. I have the pressure sensing valve stems removed from the original wheels and installed in the new ones. They fit fine and the TPMS is now happy. The wheels I have them installed in are the Eagle Alloy Series 185 wheels. They are 15x8 wheels with 3 1/4" backspacing.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I didn't know there was a factory pressure monitor.
Me either, so 08's have this...
Here's mine Auto Pressure Monitor

A

·
0 Posts
I got mine to work today by putting 35 PSI in all 5 tires. It actually doesn’t feel to bouncy so for me the TPMS issue is closed :bounce:

Alan, I think mine could have been getting confused with the original tires and sensors still in the garage. You may want to try putting in more pressure away from the house. Mine Jeep only took a couple of minutes of driving to find them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alan, I think mine could have been getting confused with the original tires and sensors still in the garage. You may want to try putting in more pressure away from the house. Mine Jeep only took a couple of minutes of driving to find them.
I still have the original tires in there because the guy who was going to buy mine backed out last week. And yes, I still have the (!) light on.

That's good news though. Now i just gotta get rid of those old tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts