JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rubicon express 3.5 short arm kit and am running a 275/65 r20 wheel and tire set up. I recently went to 4.56 gears and it helped a ton. I am debating about moving to a 37x12.50 tire. My question is how will this effect my on road handling. will it smooth out the ride at all (a little rough now), will I notice any ill effects? basically is this a smart or dumb decision and what will change? I will rarely, if ever, go off-road and in the event I do it will be Strictly very easy trails.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What shocks are you running?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to double check but I believe I am running Rubicon Express shocks. When I purchased the Kit I explained I wanted Maximum on road comfort so I Guess it is whatever 4wd hardware said was the best. I will check shortly.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I Guess it is whatever 4wd hardware said was the best. I will check shortly.
There's the first part of your problem. :thefinger::D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are aev blisteins dunno the specifics.

·
Registered
997 Posts
What kind of tires are you running? Load range? PSI?

Bilsteins are a little on the firm side, which some like.

I would agree with before, don’t just go by what some big conglomerate chain store recommends. You’re lucky they got you Bilstein but Rubicon Express is owned by 4 Wheel Parts, so naturally they pushed the RE lift.

-Dan

·
Registered
879 Posts
More sidewall and at lower psi should help the ride a little. Try 30 psi and go from there (up & down) to find a ride quality your comfortable with and that work with your load rating (ie: higher load rating = stiffer sidewall and might work better with lower pressures).

I ran 30 psi rear and 32 psi up front with 315/70r17s. That's about the same amount of sidewall you'd be running with 37's. A little firm, but not harsh. Those #'s gave me the best compromise between ride quality & gas mileage. I also run bilsteins.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run nitto terra grapplers with the E load range and i Believe 32 psi

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts