JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JK 2-door and am running a Wurx Front and Rear Bumper with a tire carrier. The bumpers were installed last summer and the bearing is already shot. I have had problems with the latch and long-story-short I'm ready to find a solution that works better than Wurx:)

I like the bumpers and am thinking about a swing-away carrier that is body mounted, I've looked at the Or-fab online. I'm running 33s but am looking to be able to move up to 35s eventually. I'd like to be able to carry Gerry cans too. Any other ideas or recommendations? Is anyone else running the Or-fab carrier? Tell me what you like about your carrier!

Sent by Pony Express

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I ran a smittybilt xrc w/ carrier as my first setup... While it was fine it required adjustments every couple weeks to rid it off an annoying rattle. I'm now running the or-fab swing away (non-gerry can) w/ purejeep rear stubby and love it. The or-fab carrier is solid, smooth swinging, and nice looking in my opinion. Not as much as a squeak from it either. I'd highly recommend.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Xrc!! I hve one for sale too!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Genright in aluminum. If you wanna carry fuel just get the rotopax strap that goes around the spare tire and add some rotopax cans. Super light set up. I went with the genright bumper as well but you can match it with and independent bumper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LodOffroad 3rd Gen, Expedition One or Shrockworks! Pricier but long lasting and no rust. Unfortunately for the later you have to wait 6-8 month after placing your order. Both have optional Jerrys on them!
Cheers
John

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I have the Or-Fab and found the install to be very straight-forward. Installation has a lot to do with your capabilities and how comfortable you are working on your Jeep. I found it no more difficult that installing my front bumper and winch. I think it takes longer and is a more tedious job to run wiring properly (with tape and wire loom) than it is to drill a hole in your tub and align a hinge.

If you get the Or-Fab, look at their new rotopax version (same price). I have the original jerry can version and am looking to get the rotopax version. The metal jerry cans tend to warp easily with hot and cold weather extremes if you have gas in them (expansion and contraction of the gas). I'm hoping the plastic rotopax cans are better. Also, I think the design of the rotopax carrier is a slimmer by 3 or 4 inches.

The Or-Fab carrier is awesome though. Very tough, very sturdy and not a single rattle after 2 years. If you need help with install, there are great write-ups on this and other forums. PM me if you need some pointers also.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
LodOffroad 3rd Gen, Expedition One or Shrockworks! Pricier but long lasting and no rust. Unfortunately for the later you have to wait 6-8 month after placing your order. Both have optional Jerrys on them!
Cheers
John
I run the Fabfours rear with swing out. Very beefy spindel holding the swingout and the latch is rock solid. NO rattles or squeeks. Held up great for 4 years now.

http://www.fabfours.com/Products/Jeep/RearBumpers/0712JKRearBumperwTireCarrier
These mentioned are GREAT options. LOD wait times aren't too bad anymore. Looking at about three weeks on them. The Fab Fours setup is a sick looking bumper as well. OR Fab... well, you get one of those and you'll never have a rattle and can run any bumper you want. The Rotopax version is pretty killer too!

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,831 Posts
GenRight Off-Road makes a tubular swing away tire carrier that is body mounted and comes in either aluminum or steel options. It mount at the right side door hinge area and connects on the left side of the rear door. :beer:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I freakin love my genright bfh combo

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.