JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a story in the news about a month ago out of Colorado. There was an investigation underway into a Colorado Springs Auto Shop after engines disappeared out of customers cars and the business appeared to close. More than a dozen people say the business took their money and didn’t do the work that was promised. Then when some went to get their cars they found their engines where gone.

This happens more than you may realize. I witnessed first hand a conman scam artist in action. There are some ways you can protect yourself from this happening to you. It’s not full proof because these types of conmen are good…. having many years of practice and they usually move from town to town.

My Top 5 Things to Look for when picking a mechanic...

1. Make sure they have the necessary Paperwork Business License/ Sales Tax Permit/Certifications/insurance. This is not a guarantee all are legit but it’s a start.
2. Get online and look for reviews. Google is your friend. Search of the mechanic’s name and the business name. Ask around to see how long they have been in business in that town.
3. Check out your Local Country Court house to see if there have been any lawsuits filed. Some states have online court records you can search.
4. Make sure you get everything in writing. Everything. Even ask for receipts of parts purchased.
5. If at all possible DO NOT hand over thousands of dollars for restoration work or repairs. If you have too make sure you get a detailed list of what that money is for, make sure the mechanic signs the paperwork. Check on the work A LOT!!!

These conmen are good at what they do. They have been doing it for a long time and have lots of practice so you need to be on your toes. I know the best would be doing your own work but for some that is not feasible.

Investigation underway into a Colorado Springs auto shop after engines disappear and business appears to close

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My Top 5 Things to Look for when picking a mechanic...

1. Make sure they have the necessary Paperwork. A Business License is not needed, and only costs you more for overhead.
2. Get online and look for posts. Google is your friend. Search of the mechanic’s name on JKO. A bigger post count is a sign that they don't work, just browse JKO.
3. Cops? No we don't hate cops. We just like it better when they're not around.
4. Let's skip the fine print and save you some tax money.
5. You can trust Coilrods Shadetree Services.
In other news, I'm opening my own shop. I need 30% up front for materials, and no, we don't validate parking.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Someone at work mentioned they were charged $700 to swap 4x OEM-style shocks on their rig. I thought that was excessive, but then I started thinking about it. Some shops are charging upwards of $150/hr for book labor.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone at work mentioned they were charged $700 to swap 4x OEM-stle shocks on their rig. I thought that was excessive, but then I started thinking about it. Some shops are charging upwards of $150/hr for book labor.
We were charging $135 an hour plus parts $ up front 😂

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There are lots of shady "shops" out there. I see all kinds of bad/wrong work come thru my shop to be fixed. 4WD parts is a big one in my area. Problem is today that there is a lack of shops that know what they are doing and the ones that do are typically months out and customers today want it done now and question every thing you tell them because they "read it online". In business the customer is always right but most of them are dumbasses that don't have a clue on what time it takes and the proper components to do the job right. A set of OEM shocks should be no more than 2 hours labor plus parts, which if purchased OEM will be in that $400+ range. The $700 sounds high but really is right in the ballpark for a legit shop that has employees, insurance, rent, and other overhead.

I think this is another reason for the decline in the forums as very few people today acutally do their own mods and today we have a bunch of Wanabe posers jep owners out there that want the big jeep look and can't turn a wrench or know how to drive off road.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I was doing the math and starting wondering if it would even take me 4.5hrs to swap 4 shocks... and I'm pokey slow.
If you had a lift and it took more than 15 minutes a corner, you'd be slow.
The hardest part for me was getting the frame up high enough that the coils would unload.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
This rig cam in to me after he paid someone to do an axle swap for $10k. He stretched the wheel base on the YJ but did not move the fuel tank so it had 1" of up travel in the rear and no shocks on the rear. The tie rod is made from 1.25" .120 wall and he bent it the first time out. This kid does not have a clue on what he is doing and has about $25k in a YJ that is worth about $6k today. I told him it was unsafe to drive so he when out and wheeled it and broke the crap weld on the radius arm and shock in the last photo.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
@thedirtman Good GAWD!!! Even I could of told you something is a little off there.
The thing is, he did not realize there was something wrong. He came to me for a set of sliders, not to fix the suspension. I took it for a test drive and went about 1500' before I turned around and parked it because the handleing was so bad I was afraid I might run into a ditch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts