JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going on the Topless for Tatas Run in August at Rausch Creek.

Been there once before and made it out unscathed. Don't want to push my luck, so I think it might be time to get some skid plates.

I've got a '12 JKU on a 2 1/2" Rough Country Coil lift, 33" BFGs. Will work on this between now and late July.

Thinking about starting with a oil pan skid, then transfer case skid. Going to take it one at a time, so looking for opinions on priority. From everything I've read, oil pan would be real high on the priority list.

Should diff covers be on the list? Haven't done much research on diff covers as this just struck me as I was typing. Anyone have any suggestions, or horror stories?

My thought is to use the Rock Hard products for the skids. They seem to be one of the few out there that bolt to the frame and they have bolt protectors to make sure you can acutally get these things off for maintenance, after scraping across rocks.

Knowledgeable opinions requested.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and I think I am going to do an evap relo kit. Please help us great and powerful JC.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've been looking at the River Raider full set and the EVO Mfg skids. I'm the type of person that needs to see an item in person before I pull the trigger on it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I saw the full river raider skid system a couple weeks ago. It's very nice looking, but it seems the bolts underneath would get easily sheared on rocks? I haven't seen the Rockhard skids in person yet though...

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering the same thing and I think I am going to do an evap relo kit. Please help us great and powerful JC.
Tom,

Is yours a '12, if so, its already got some metal on it, otherwise, carry on, nothing to see here.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at the River Raider full set and the EVO Mfg skids. I'm the type of person that needs to see an item in person before I pull the trigger on it.
Here is my thing with both, and the primary difference between everything else and rock hard, the bolts heads stick out. So I use my skid as intended, and slid right across the rock, the bolt gets obliterated, and I need to get underneath to do some maintenance. Totally screwed cause the bolt head doesn't fit in the ratchet anymore.

Actually looked for some bolt protectors, figured rock hard can't be the only company using them, can't find them. If I could, I would think about other companies products, and just buy the bolt head protectors.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Definitely get yourself a front diff cover. The stock ones are tin foil compared to aftermarket. Riddler diff covers are cheap, crazy strong and you can paint them any way you want!

·
Registered
376 Posts
The RR skids we installed on Brian's (B4TN) are awesome, very heavy duty and straight to the point install.

The bolts come with Allen head bolts ( not a big fan of) but they are rounded as to slide over rocks. Don't believe he has had any issues with them.

Hope this helps!

Steve

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The RR skids we installed on Brian's (B4TN) are awesome, very heavy duty and straight to the point install.

The bolts come with Allen head bolts ( not a big fan of) but they are rounded as to slide over rocks. Don't believe he has had any issues with them.

Hope this helps!

Steve
Thanks, good to know. I like the RR Snorkel, would be nice to limit the vendors to a small group on my rig.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat...looking for a full skid system.

I think I've narrowed it down to River Raider or Synergy's. The Synergy's look nice but are money...I think about double when you factor in the the HD version plus shipping.

Still undecided...

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the same boat...looking for a full skid system.

I think I've narrowed it down to River Raider or Synergy's. The Synergy's look nice but are money...I think about double when you factor in the the HD version plus shipping.

Still undecided...
Could save on shipping with RR, we could roll out there one day and install at their new site. I hear they have a great parking lot.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perry,

Seems I was wrong about the RR bolts. Maybe they won't get smushed.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
They only thing you really need is the oil pan skid. The other stock ones are sufficient until you break them, which will take awhile, unless you're one of the Duke boys.

The Riddler covers are a great product. I recommend them. Id suggest getting some grade8 bolts for them though. The ones that came with mine were grade5. I think I have a few extra if you need some.

·
Registered
306 Posts
diff covers and evap skid should be priorities. What trails are you planning on running? If you are sticking to greens and blues that is all you should need, if you are doing blacks go ahead and do the oil pan skid the rest of the stock skids should be sufficent, just take things slow and listen to your spotter and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They only thing you really need is the oil pan skid. The other stock ones are sufficient until you break them, which will take awhile, unless you're one of the Duke boys.

The Riddler covers are a great product. I recommend them. Id suggest getting some grade8 bolts for them though. The ones that came with mine were grade5. I think I have a few extra if you need some.
Thanks for the info BenFoo, definately on the list. I have learned about the difference between stainless steel and grade 8. There is a great source in Willow Grove for grade 8 hardware. Jdam knows the name, I would have to look it up. Will follow up with you when if I go down that road.

diff covers and evap skid should be priorities. What trails are you planning on running? If you are sticking to greens and blues that is all you should need, if you are doing blacks go ahead and do the oil pan skid the rest of the stock skids should be sufficent.
Thanks for the info, I have a '12, so the evap has a skid. I think the diff covers and the oil pan skid is where I will start. I'll be running greens and blues, but I always spend my money on mods thinking one step forward and what would cost the most to replace, like blues and blacks and a burned out engine. I'd rather be overbuilt than stuck on the road.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
diff covers and evap skid should be priorities. What trails are you planning on running? If you are sticking to greens and blues that is all you should need, if you are doing blacks go ahead and do the oil pan skid the rest of the stock skids should be sufficent, just take things slow and listen to your spotter and you'll be fine.
Why oh why are you saying evap is a priority? You can drive without it, sure theres some alarms on your dash but nothing that stops you from driving and doesnt cause any permanent damage. Last I looked the evap can was $80 to replace. So unless thats gone way up, whats the point? Relocate it.

You NEED to cover your oil pan. No oil...no worky. Plain and simple. You cant get far without oil in the engine and depending where you are in the park you might not make it back to the parking lot at RC

The diff covers are ok. Should be replaced but there are plenty of people that wheel with stock covers. They do tend to peel when you slide them the opposite way over rocks, but they're thin enough to bend back and fill with some RTV if you do. Just don't go plowing full speed into rocks and carry some RTV, diff fluid and a BFH.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
+1 on what Ben said. I've wheeled my JK alot in stock tires, 35s, and 37s, on greens thru reds, never even rubbed the evap. Proper tire placement will prevent you from hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.