JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for rear brake pads. Any recommendations? little off road, is my DD and drive 50 miles of highway 5 days a week. Thank you all for your input.

Dealer wanted to charge me $290.... WTF Thats what I get for trying to be lazy and asking :thefinger:

·
Registered
777 Posts
i got my rear pads from the dealer for 120

i would recommend sticking with the mopar branded pads, they will work the best

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know most people arent going to agree but Im a fan of ebay brakes.

I got a set of four slotted rotors and 8 ceramic pads for my F150 off ebay for 250. They work great, no brake dust, and have held up as well as any I have put on. Their on a F150 supercrew with 35s so not the easiest task. When its time for the JK, I will be doing the same. :beer:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
$290?! $120?!

Go here:

http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_brakes/index.html

I just bought EBC Green's for the rear of mine. He's got Hawk's too. $64 for either.

Considering most people have had theirs go out prematurely, what makes you think the Mopar pads are best? :shaking:
X2. I got the Hawks. I've only had them on for about a week but they are quiet and work at the very least as well as OEM, if not better.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Yeah Woods is the man:smokin: I got my replacements before Woods started selling the EBC's.

Got the Akebono ProACT pads from placeforbrakes.com and they are doing really well so far. About 40k miles and very little wear.

Oh and we turn off the ESP (partial off) whenever practical.........I'm convinced it eats the rear pads.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just want to say thank you all for your tips, advice, and experience. Will be ordering mine today.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah Woods is the man:smokin: I got my replacements before Woods started selling the EBC's.

Got the Akebono ProACT pads from placeforbrakes.com and they are doing really well so far. About 40k miles and very little wear.

Oh and we turn off the ESP (partial off) whenever practical.........I'm convinced it eats the rear pads.
I always hit the off (partially off) button whenever I drive it.Damn safety shit anyways :shaking:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Yeah I know the hokey-pokey bodybrdg but I'm happy with partial off and so are my rear brakes.

What are you trying to prove? ;)
That the ESP can be permanently disabled if you want;)

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I used some ceramic ones from autozone because I needed them "now" :laughing: they work better than stock at least.
Oh and you know I did a brake change video in the write-up forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
around what mileage do I need to start looking to replace the pads? Mostly highway driving and some wheelin a few times a month... and are there any stickies on here on how to do it myself? Never done it before but want to learn how...

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
around what mileage do I need to start looking to replace the pads? Mostly highway driving and some wheelin a few times a month...
Depends...mine were getting low at 16,000 miles. Just inspect them yourself. Worse case scenario is that you'll hear the brake sensor squeal when they get low enough.

and are there any stickies on here on how to do it myself? Never done it before but want to learn how...
Here:
And be sure to read my additional comments. :smokin:

·
Registered
100 Posts
thanks Ogie

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
odd, im at 42K now and during last rotation looked at the brakes. 40% and 50% remaining front and rear. i was surprised and asked the jeep tech is this normal for the miles, he said yep, they wear better than the mini-vans.

im more surprised since all the highway driving i do going to and from events.

though i do plan on a brake upgrade. most likely the TF brake package

·
Banned
184 Posts
I used some ceramic ones from autozone because I needed them "now" :laughing: they work better than stock at least.
Hey, I bought the same ones......lifetime Warranty...so WTF?

Thanks for posting the video, I'm sure it will come in very handy when I'm ready to replace mine.:beer:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts