JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been racing against the clock to get my JK back on the road for a bit of a road trip next week, but I've had to accept that it isn't going to happen in time.

So I'm taking my understanding wife's Montero/Pajero instead...so this is a little off topic for a JK forum, but I thought some of the US folks might find it interesting anyway. I'll be running in convoy with a few Jeeps for some of the router - JK, KJ, XJ and possibly a WJ if it gets finished over the weekend.

The rough plan is to head north from Sydney to Cape York, which is the northern most point of Australia....roughly 3,500km away from the start of the trip. The sealed roads stop about 800km short of the tip, and the dirt roads range from corrugated dirt highway all the way through to impassable.

It's difficult to convey how unpopulated most of Australia is, once I get a few hours away from Sydney the next major city that I will get within a couple of hundred miles of is Cairns...2,600km down the road!

My co-pilot on this trip will be my 3 year old daughter....so it's going to be an *interesting* trip :)

I'll be carrying a satellite tracker that will post updates on progress, thought I'd start a thread to direct the updates into.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hell yeah man that sounds awesome. I've had 2 close friends go to Australia recently for GM work and both them want to move there now haha. Have fun and post up some pics!

·
Registered
587 Posts
thats an awsome adventure! have fun and post up pics! :beer:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back at home now, so time for a bit of a write up...

I've plotted the rough route on the map here - http://g.co/maps/3828m - Google's road coverage isn't good enough for it to provide road details for the more remote areas. The route covers a little under 9,000km of which around 3,500km are off the bitumen.

I'll start with the car - it's a 2006 Pajero with a 3.2 Diesel with a few modifications for this kind of trip
- Bull Bar, Winch, Lights
- Lots of underbody armour
- 40 liter water tank
- storage drawers & cargo barrier
- roof top tent
- Rear Bar and dual wheel carrier

I did the drive up from Sydney to Cairns (2600km) on my own to join the other vehicles on the trip.
- JK
- TJ
- XJ
- KJ x 2
- CJ8 (bought sight unseen 48 hours before the trip started!)
- and a LandRover Discovery 3 towing a camper trailer

I've uploaded a selection of pictures - Here

The driver of the JK also put together an excellent video of the run north from Cairns to the top of Cape York which is worth watching - http://www.youtube.com/user/3DHunty#p/u/4/pUGK2vLnfsQ

Hunty's JK was heavily loaded :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts