JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been searching the forums and have seen a few threads on tie rods, drag links and steering overall, but I'm looking for the ultimate cure for the stock extremely wimpy tie rod config.

Right now I'm only running 33's. Over the last two weekends I have managed to destroy 2 stock tie rods, 2 after market steering stabilizers, and a drag link. Bad luck I guess, but you bearly tap those things and they bend.

So here's what I'm thinking. I already have a ProRock 44 waiting to be installed, and i will be jumping either to 35's or 37's. So I need to upgrade the tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. I think I'm going to go with Poly's tie rod and drag link. A lot of people seem happy with them, and they seem a bit more cost effective.

But that still doesn't fix the problem that the tie rod hangs extremely low on these things. Is just upgrading to a stronger tie rod and relocating the steering stabilizer up top enough? Will it all stand up to the rocks? or should I drop the extra 500 and order the Reid Racing Knuckles and move it up that 1.5 inch? Does that little bit help? Is anyone running these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've gone through four stock draglinks already, and need to upgrade. I don't know how tough polys tierod/draglink assemblies hold up, but I've wheeled with a guy who damaged his rockkrawler one pretty easily when contacting a boulder. I wasnt too impressed since it bent about the same amount as my stock one did, and he was pissed since he dished out a lot more money for his. Also, $500 to move it a little over an inch seems kinda rediculous but it might be the only solution. I was also thinking maybe sleeving mine or something along those lines for strength.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking; getting the PP, and sleeveing the whole thing, and just welding on a Steering stabilizer mount. I wish Reid Racing built those knuckles and moved the mounts closer to center the clear the wheels then moved them up at least 2.5-3 inches so they're way above the axle tube.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Oh boy.... where to start.

A chromoly tie rod should have a memory... I know mine bends pretty radically now and again and is straight as an arrow. I am sure it would be possible to destroy one... but it would be difficult.

Sleeving? I'd not try that... if you feel you need a larger diameter piece, have one custom made. I am not sure the expense is worth it over a good aftermarket item, such as the Poly tie rod. If you go this route, make sure the item gets heat treated.

Don't weld to a heat treated item. You'll destroy the benefit of that process.

Too bad the Reid Knuckle is not a true high steer option.... but it is as close as you are going to get. Worth the cash? It's your call, but I am happy with mine and feel it was a good investment to get my tie rod up two inches.... and there are other benefits. I can say one bad thing about the Reid Knuckle... it's made of a fairly soft metal. Bang a hammer against it the first time you need to release a TRE and you'll see what I mean.

I am not so sure about cost effective.... a lot of good things can be said about Poly's products, but cost can't be one of them.... they say it costs a lot to make good shit.... seems like a reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh boy.... where to start.

A chromoly tie rod should have a memory... I know mine bends pretty radically now and again and is straight as an arrow. I am sure it would be possible to destroy one... but it would be difficult.

Sleeving? I'd not try that... if you feel you need a larger diameter piece, have one custom made. I am not sure the expense is worth it over a good aftermarket item, such as the Poly tie rod. If you go this route, make sure the item gets heat treated.

Don't weld to a heat treated item. You'll destroy the benefit of that process.

Too bad the Reid Knuckle is not a true high steer option.... but it is as close as you are going to get. Worth the cash? It's your call, but I am happy with mine and feel it was a good investment to get my tie rod up two inches.... and there are other benefits. I can say one bad thing about the Reid Knuckle... it's made of a fairly soft metal. Bang a hammer against it the first time you need to release a TRE and you'll see what I mean.

I am not so sure about cost effective.... a lot of good things can be said about Poly's products, but cost can't be one of them.... they say it costs a lot to make good shit.... seems like a reasonable explanation.
Good call on the chromoly part. That totally slipped my mind. I guess what I meant about being cost effective, is that compared to the Currie $800 system it's cost effective. LOL It's pretty crappy that you can get the TJ HD tie rods so cheap now, but it cost so much more for the JK system,.hmmm.

But, about the knuckles,..Are you saying they're softer than the stockers? They look huge compared to them in the pictures. I've used a hammer everytime to pop of my stock tie rods, will that be and issue with the Reid Racing units? or,..is it just if you miss the end? haha I could see that being bad with a 3lb hammer. haha

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
I don't know if that it's going to be a problem in the long run or not... when I've banged on them, the metal has some indents. When I did mine, we did N30EX's too... he has the same malformed metal issue after banging on his. It's possible we got a bad casting or ??? But... it's not a issue now and only time will tell. I am not too worried about it. More of a shock when it happened.

Currie is on crack if they want that much for their junk... it's good junk, I run their suspension, anti-rocks, and front track bar... but come on, 800 for the two pieces? Even Poly, who is one of the pricer options out there, comes in at about 500 for a drag link and tie rod.

BTW... I know you can save some money vs the Poly tie rod and drag link. But I wouldn't consider doing that. Normally price factors into the equation when I buy, but Poly has one feature no one else has and it is golden on parts that have to be adjusted on a regular basis. The ability to adjust the drag link and tie rod on the vehicle is a big deal for these two parts since they become problematic after many wheeling adventures.

I am sure some of the other options out there are good. Lots of good vendors making good stuff.

I have seen the Currie track bar bend like a mother fucker... I watch Desert Dog abuse his to where sometime I think it will break (as in snap in half!)... but it always bounces back into shape (he's running their 60 up front, so I an not sure if it is the same item as you'd get for the 44?).

I have been told by others that mine (Poly item) bends just as much and like I said, never an issue.

You can't go wrong, either way, but... but the adjustment sleeve on the Poly steering components is the reason I would recommend them over any other... well that and the fact that from experience, they can take a beating.

Buy an extra TRE or two from Poly if you buy their item... it's nice to have a spare and I've not been able to find the mysterious part anywhere from other than them (well... Part's Mike claims to be able to get them, but might as well just have Poly toss a spare in the box when you get it). No one else seems to think they even exist and trust me... I have tried a lot of different sources.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts