JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know we have beaten the Tie Rod subject to death but I have a question that I have tried searching for on JKO and a few other sites.

The time has come for me to replace my Outers. I have the replacement TRE at the Pitman done all ready. I slapped a moog ES3624 on there and its been fine.
My question: Is there a decent outer TRE that is greaseable that could be used with the stock Tie Rod?

I see Oreilly listed two when I did the search but I have heard they can be very hard to come by? ES800593 & ES800594 but at that price is there a way i could Use PP Sleeve or just drill out the two knuckles and use a Flex Joint with a miss alignment spacer and a grade 8 bolt or something?

I know the TRE don’t have to flex just rotate as they stay static and the Drag link end is the only thing that actually moves up and down.

Keep in mind I would like to use the STOCK tie rod tube.

I have seen lots of custom Steering setups but i would like to try and use the stock tube until i can get the funds to run the PP or RK setup.. Posibly a custom one.

Sorry for the kind of repost. :shaking: -Matt

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
You don't need high misalignment joints for a tie rod, for a drag link may be. I've never been a big fan of heims for tie rods and prefer a traditional rod end, but plenty of people use them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't need high misalignment joints for a tie rod, for a drag link may be. I've never been a big fan of heims for tie rods and prefer a traditional rod end, but plenty of people use them.

Thanks Phil, Any reason you like one more then the other? I would think the heims should be stronger then a normal rod end shouldn't they?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Heims wear quickly on a daily driver. Stick with a standard joint. However, I don't know of any good replacements. Depending on the cost of stock replacements, that RK tie rod may not be a bad choice...

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Has anyone else looked into this inquiry? My stock tie rod ends are pretty much shot and I'm in need of a solution. If I can't figure something out I figure I may end up with an aftermarket tie rod. But if replacing just the TREs will solve my issue and save me money, that'd be awesome.

So can anyone shine some light on this?

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
This is why when nick bought steering he went with currie...

i'm in the same boat as you guys. I really should replace a few TRE's but i'm not real wild about just putting stock replacements back in.

I guess poly uses a different size but does anyone know if it's any stronger?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Heims wear quickly on a daily driver. Stick with a standard joint.
Disagree. It depends on the type of heim. Teflon lined heims will wear at least as long as if not longer than any TRE.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Moog ends for the stock Tie Rod

Moog part #ES800593 right thread and Moog part # ES800594 left threaad for stock tie rod!!!

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
And the moog are better quality than stock?
I don't know what to do...throw $100-150 into TREs and still have the week spaghetti's tie rod thats on it now or get myself either the currie or rock krawler aluminum tie rod.

I think i just convinced myself...but now I gotta decide between RK or Currie. And Currie is $120 more....

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
And the moog are better quality than stock?
I don't know what to do...throw $100-150 into TREs and still have the week spaghetti's tie rod thats on it now or get myself either the currie or rock krawler aluminum tie rod.

I think i just convinced myself...but now I gotta decide between RK or Currie. And Currie is $120 more....
The rk is pretty cool if you're gona hit it a lot

The currie tre's are tough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts