JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a couple searches, but didn't find anything useful. Sorry if this is being re-hashed.

What is the consensus of aftermarket vs OEM tie rod ends? I need 3 of them for my lift, and at $83.06 a pop from the dealer, I'd like to consider my options.

Am I paying for a name with OEM, or is there really a quality difference?

Thanks for the feedback,

Kevin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have added:

If aftermarket, which ones? I see a vote for Moog :)

Again, I'm after quality. Cost is an issue, but not at the expense of quality (within reason)

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
The Moogs are great and only cost about 25.00 each. They will give your stearing a firmer feel (less slop) and can be greased. Polly also makes some outstanding ones but cost a bit more.

Some fake Moogs are out there from Amazon vendors. I'd go to ORiley's, they stock them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry...
Yes, it's what I have on my list for the RK tie rod.
I'm confused. The RK tie rod (which I will be getting as well) uses the OEM tie rod ends, correct?

Basically, I need the 3 ends for my RK drag link and RK tie rod.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm confused. The RK tie rod (which I will be getting as well) uses the OEM tie rod ends, correct?

Basically, I need the 3 ends for my RK drag link and RK tie rod.
Correct.

Technically it takes 4, might want to consider replacing the stock drag link end at pitman arm with a Moog if you have some miles on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct.

Technically it takes 4, might want to consider replacing the stock drag link end at pitman arm with a Moog if you have some miles on it.
Only around 1.5k miles so far, she's only a month old :)

I guess I could do some checking online to see if that Moog P/N matches with the OEM tie rod ends, but I'm hoping somebody can confirm this for me? That's the root of my confusion at this point.

Seems Moog is the way to go?

I appreciate all the feedback and patience. My first JK, and I want to do her right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Only around 1.5k miles so far, she's only a month old :)

I guess I could do some checking online to see if that Moog P/N matches with the OEM tie rod ends, but I'm hoping somebody can confirm this for me? That's the root of my confusion at this point.

Seems Moog is the way to go?

I appreciate all the feedback and patience. My first JK, and I want to do her right.
Yes the Moog es3624 is the proper end for the RK tie rod conversion and is a replacement for the factory TRE at the pitman arm!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Where can I get the moog tie rod ends for the stock tie rod? Same part number for each side? Will auto zone carry them. No oriellys in my area.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Where can I get the moog tie rod ends for the stock tie rod? Same part number for each side? Will auto zone carry them. No oriellys in my area.
Quadratec has the crown ones. I just looked into it recently. Not to sure if MOOG makes stock replacement TREs. They obviously do for the ones at the pitman arm, but I am not sure why they even call it a TRE considering it is not located at the tie rod. Can anyone explain that to me?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I wouldnt buy the crown ones they are the same as oem. not greaseable.

thanks jkruss ill check summit

am i reading this right? we can only change the driver side end? the other one is pressed into the tie rod

·
Registered
457 Posts
Check with Marcus at RCO. He got me the NAPA version. Works fine and no complaints here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Definitely do *not* get the Crown ones. Chinese junk. You'll be sorry if you do.

The Moog ones look identical to the TJ OEM tie rod ends in basic design. The TJ OEM tie rod ends were better than any of the aftermarket tie rod ends for the TJ because a) their rubber shielding was tougher and held the grease in and water out better than the poly shielding on competitors, and b) they were greasable. Just looking at the picture, I'd buy'em in a minute if I were in the market for tie rod ends.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
anyone having trouble installing the moog ends? About to put on my lift but i need these ends first. TIA

1 - 20 of 30 Posts