JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rubber between the tie rod end and the Pitman arm is torn almost in half. Can someone tell me what this piece is called so I can purchase a replacement? Also, is this just like a dust boot, or is it some kind of bushing? I have recently developed some play and drift in my steering and was wondering if this could be the culprit.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
It's a dust boot to protect the joint. I don't believe there are common replacements of just the boots, Energy suspension sells some that will kind-of-fit, but likely a replacement drag link end (tie rod end @ drag link can be confusing) may be in your future.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have used a universal boot that I bought at a auto parts store....currie enterprises also sells a replacement boot on their website

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
So is it a drag link, or tie rod end? Quadratec has it listed as a "tie rod end at Pitman arm." http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_0016.htm

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Both the same. Yes it is technically a drag link end at the pitman arm. Not sure why it is called TRE. It is certainly confusing. If I were you I would replace it with the crown TRE at the pitman arm. Moog has given people some problems.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Both the same. Yes it is technically a drag link end at the pitman arm. Not sure why it is called TRE. It is certainly confusing. If I were you I would replace it with the crown TRE at the pitman arm. Moog has given people some problems.
I have had no issues with all 4 of my Moog ends, and the Crown one I had lasted about 5k.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
It's not a Mopar replacement part. To go stock you'd have to replace the entire joint. You can get a parts store universal tie rod end boot and trim it to work fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I just bought a Moog at Advanced Auto today. Gonna try to get it on after work tomorrow.

Will this possibly solve my sloppy steering?

Will this same part really work for the tie rod? It's shaped differently.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, I just bought a Moog at Advanced Auto today. Gonna try to get it on after work tomorrow.

Will this possibly solve my sloppy steering?

Will this same part really work for the tie rod? It's shaped differently.

Unless the ball in your old end is shot and clunks around in the cup, I doubt it will fix it. You will have a better part that lasts longer though.

These ends don't work for the stock tie rod, but rather the Rock Krawler tie rod and drag link.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Moog will work on the stock drag link at the pitman arm, right? Moog's website lists it as fitting.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The Moog will work on the stock drag link at the pitman arm, right? Moog's website lists it as fitting.

Correct, that is the only stock end that it will replace.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Steering Stabilizer as well? Crap!

Well what do we have here? Guess now I'll be R&R'ing my steering stabilizer as well. Anyone got a recommendation for a bolt-on upgrade?

These things come in threes right? Any bets on what's next?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
old thread i know, but will the moog es3624 work in the RK drag link at the pitman? anyone know
Yes. I used one there and on my RK tie rod ends. There was an issue for a period of time with the Moog threads...I may have got lucky but mine worked just fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes. I used one there and on my RK tie rod ends. There was an issue for a period of time with the Moog threads...I may have got lucky but mine worked just fine.
TCDawg, wish I would have seen this earlier. I was told that MOOG won't fit RK HD Drag link. RK Drag link is built to accept OEM TRE's and if I am not mistaken MOOG and OEM are not the same spec's. If I am wrong, please someone tell me so I can cancel my order and replace with MOOG's. OReily's auto parts store has MOOGS in stock and when I give them the 52060049AE part number, the MOOG TRE shows up. But I think the shank is of different sizes. Please if I am incorrect in saying MOOG is different than OEM in spec's, correct me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.