JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an early morning phone call that said I am playing hooky want to go wheel... So I of course said lets go.

Me and a buddy went to do Tie Rod Canyon, and actually make a day of wheeling on two other trails as well but we ended 1 hour after we started... carnage at the bottom.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rear driveshaft broke. The Jeep had minimal wheel spin in fact almost none, no bounce, no hop and almost crawled right up the rock face. It then just snapped.

Of course when I called JE REEL they said we have NEVER had this happen to one of these before.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
just curious...is that a 1310 or 1350 shaft?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A

·
0 Posts
That looks a little similar to how my first front drive shaft failed. The ball socket was all chewed up like that but I can’t tell for the picture really what happened.

I’m pretty sure I know what caused my problems and it was an excessive pinion angle. I’ve since changed my pinion angle to about 5° but am currently running the stock shaft while my last JE Reel drive shaft is being re-built. Hopefully this fixes it for me, but I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Was yours making any type of noise? Something like a chaffing noise?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks a little similar to how my first front drive shaft failed. The ball socket was all chewed up like that but I can’t tell for the picture really what happened.

I’m pretty sure I know what caused my problems and it was an excessive pinion angle. I’ve since changed my pinion angle to about 5° but am currently running the stock shaft while my last JE Reel drive shaft is being re-built. Hopefully this fixes it for me, but I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Was yours making any type of noise? Something like a chaffing noise?
it was dead silent. no noise at all. The only thing making a crappy loud noise is my Full Traction Suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts