JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a throttle body spacer (alone) really works (improves power / MPG)? Is it worth the $100?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I can't say I noticed any difference at all
only reason I have one is that it was free when I bought my intake
I installed the intake and then a few weeks later when the spacer came in, I added it and really couldn't tell.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They dont work for MPFI or electronically controlled engines.

it would help if we still had carbs.

You would be better just using the 100 for a expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What gets me is that they sell it as a proven power gain for the jk. How are they even allowed to say that. Makes me wonder about the quality of other products that they claim add power.

·
Registered
630 Posts
they very well do work on a FI motor. It is essentially a Velocity stack. Every FI race motor built is using some sort of a velocity stack, why? cause they work!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel economy

I'm really just looking for an inexpensive way to boost the fuel economy a bit. Ads claim improvement in MPG. However, 1 MPG improvement is only worth about $10/month, even at todays gas prices... I'll probably stay stock until something better comes along.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm really just looking for an inexpensive way to boost the fuel economy a bit. Ads claim improvement in MPG. However, 1 MPG improvement is only worth about $10/month, even at todays gas prices... I'll probably stay stock until something better comes along.
Driving like grandma on her way to Sunday meetin' is an inexpensive way to make a mpg improvement. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts

A throttle body spacer probably i snot the best way to improve fuel mileage. That part is a stretch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
they very well do work on a FI motor. It is essentially a Velocity stack. Every FI race motor built is using some sort of a velocity stack, why? cause they work!
Velocity stacks work best in an open air flow environment IE (inside an airbox) and NOT inline with the airflow.

You are right about FI race motors using velocity stacks--as evidenced by every F1, MOTOGP and hell even BOTH of the motorcycles that I have owned--and even upgraded the stacks on.

By and large all you are doing with the SPACER is extending the air intake...no use...

Velocity stacks do exactly that.. alter the velocity on a port per port basis. for example..

My current motorcycle set for trackdays at firebird raceway uses two long and two short stacks.

a simple INLINE spacer doesnt do jack with an engine.... Give me one website that posts dyno results and Ill give you 20 independent test that prove otherwise.

as I posted in my previous post if we had carburated engines a spacer would work (between the carb and manifold) simply because it allows the air and fuel to further mix.

A SPACER IS NOT A VELOCITY STACK!

Two very different things!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts