JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ronjenx,
Ah, so you ran that wire you got from the junk yard all the way to the back and spliced it into the plug that was already back there? So you just disregarded the original wire that was connected to the plug and ran a new then?

tapcola,
Oh yeah well I could do that, and I did for a different connection. But this one is different. I'm not really doing this because I "need" a socket per se. I'm doing it more because I found the socket there and figured why not use it? I'm guessing that a lot of people have this socket back there and don't know it. If we could figure out how to connect it easily then that would be very helpful to a lot of people (like me). I mean the socket is already there and it already has a wire connected to it that goes forward; probably all the way to the front. It's probably already grounded properly and factory installed with it's own fuse that is switchable. Pretty neat. All we need do is figure out which wire it is and connect it. I feel I have to at least give it a try. It might be easier that it looks. I mean if the wire is just taped up under the TIPM all I would have to do is connect it to the spot that ronjenx told me to and bam! Powered/switched power outlet.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
ronjenx,
Ah, so you ran that wire you got from the junk yard all the way to the back and spliced it into the plug that was already back there? So you just disregarded the original wire that was connected to the plug and ran a new then?
Are you reading my posts?
This is from a few posts ago:
"Mine had no wire coming from the TIPM because there was no outlet in the rear."

Which means there was no wire at all, anywhere in the vehicle, for a rear outlet, because my JK came from the factory with no rear outlet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Kind of hit a dead end at this point.
So far I ...
1. Double checked the plug to see if it was properly grounded. It appears as though it is.
2. I lifted out the TIPM to see for sure if it was connected. It's not. At least not on my Jeep. I do see online that for some people it is connected. I have not been able to figure out why some people have it connected and others don't. But if you are lucky enough to have it connected then you are GTG. I, unfortunately, am not.
3. I examined the bundle of wires that goes to that block of the TIPM to see if the wire in question was folded up inside the bundle ready to be connected. It isn't there. My theory being that since the plug is back there, if a person goes to a dealer and wants a subwoofer installed, the dealer/tech/mechanic could just connect it. But the wire was not in the bundle. At least not at the top of the bundle.

So at this point I have only one thing left to do. Obviously the wire starts at the plug in the rear and goes forward and stops somewhere. The question is where and why. So I have to follow the wire up to the front and see where that is. My guess is that it stops at the wiring block under the dash on the passenger side. It would make little sense to stop anywhere else. There is a rather large wiring block by the feet of the passenger side that has a large bundle that eventually wraps up and goes through the firewall to the TIPM. My guess is that the wire goes to that block and then is supposed to have another wire coming out of the other side of that block and going to the TIPM fuse M7.

When I get a chance I am going to test that theory and see if it's there. The hard part is just finding out where it ends. Once I find that connecting it will be a piece of cake. My guess is that a Jeep mechanic/tech knows where this is already because, as I said, if he has to install a sub in a customers car he has to know where to connect the wire to. So the info is there. Maybe I'll get lucky and before I do all this one of them will post and let us all know where the wire is which would make it a whole lot easier.

Of course some will say why do this? Just run a new wire! Well yeah, obviously I know that. I am doing it because the wire and factory plug are already there. It's designed from the factory to work this way and I kinda like that. I like solving puzzles. I have the time. It's fun. And if I figure it out a lot of others who read this will be able to easily connect theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
So check it out ,I pulled my interior today and I dont have that plug ! But mine is a 13 .
The power outlet comes off the gray plug and has a harness from the plug .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hmm. That's interesting. So you're saying that you do have a sub but your sub outlet gets its power from that square gray plug? Any chance you could show a pic of the other side where that connects and/or tell me which pins on that gray connector the power outlet connects to so that I can test them?

Just curious but I don't recognize two things in your pic. What is the thinner bundle going left in your pic wrapped in black tape and the connector coming down from the top near the window hinge?

Kind of hot in my garage here lately and I have a few other projects that have pushed themselves forward so this is getting pushed back in my priority list right now. My next task is to test the wire I found up front to see if it is the correct one for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I get the hot part om in Vegas and it has been brutal lately .
I have everything back together but i can take a look latter . O saw a 16 last night and I saw the outlet in the rear in the pannel. It is up high by th plug you are looking at.
The thin wire going to the left runs to the seatbelt and the one to the right gose to my led's on my rear glass.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I get the hot part om in Vegas and it has been brutal lately .
I have everything back together but i can take a look latter . O saw a 16 last night and I saw the outlet in the rear in the pannel. It is up high by th plug you are looking at.
The thin wire going to the left runs to the seatbelt and the one to the right gose to my led's on my rear glass.

One more thig , my 13 has a DVC sub so I believe the top 2 go to the power and the other 4 are for the sub .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot about this.
Now that the weather is cooler I will go out and play around with this again and see if I can't figure it out ... unless someone else beats me to it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts