JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Well I have been invited to take part in the 2011 Sahara Rally looks like an interesting adventure. Can anyone give advice on desert prep, not much sand over here in England. How cool does the JK run in hot conditions, (mine is a 3.8 import from CA) I am in the process of fitting a Dana 44 front and changing to 35" tyres with gears and lockers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You might want to get a better radiator. The stock one is marginal as it is under normal conditions.

If you have an auto transmission, you will need additional cooling for that as well. Even if you were not going into the desert I would suggest it.

You may want bead locks so you can air down enough to float on the sand.

Take along a pull-pal http://www.pullpal.com/quotes.html and some carpet runners. I use 24" wide x 60" lengths.

Have fun, be sure to give us a full report when you get back.

·
Registered
918 Posts
From checking out their website it seems more like an amazing trek adventure than an all out race.

With that said, I can only point you towards expedition portal check out the forum section. A lot of guys on there that run in the western part (desert) of the U.S.A. and Mexico.Also many global trekkers. They have some really nicely built rigs and you can get a lot of good tips.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You should be thinking on keeping that sand away from the filter and intake box. Snorkel and Pre-filter would be good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info and links, I was wondering about the radiator. Yes a snorkel will be high on the list.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I live in the middle of the desert here where we have over 100 days over 100 degrees. The stock radiator is sufficient for cooling but durability is questionable, but as noted the auto transmission needs a lot of help for that type of treking. I would suggest a tranny cooler with a fan built in.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
You will gain infinite amounts of info on this aspect of the off-roading world over at Expedition Portal as this is what they specialize in and are not merely just Jeep based.

Besides the mechanical things already mentioned above, you definitely and most importantly have to prepare for the worst case scenario and have the means to carry water and lots of it. Both for mechanical breakdown and for hydration. Fuel is another thing to consider.

It sounds like a hell of a trip and one that if it goes off without a hitch will be something to remember and if you do end up with problems, hopefully you make it back with a new learning experience under your belt.:smokin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys thanks for the info, I have a manual trans, so that should not be a problem. I am hoping there will only be 2 of us in the JK so should have room for water and fuel, am looking at building a roof rack for the lighter items so should be able to keep the heavy stuff down low (water & fuel).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts