JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices the way they are, and no stop in sight, i am thinking of selling the Jeep. I am very torn, i really like the JK, i like wheeling, even though there isn't much in Michigan, but i don't know. Now gas prices aren't the end all, be all for this decision, but it does play a factor. I do like change, in my 6 years of driving i have not had a vehicle for more than 2 years, i will have had the JK 2 years end of August.
I am thinking of getting something like a Tacoma, Explorer, Grand Cherokee. After having two SUV's i know i will not go back to a car as a D.D.

So here is a question, what do you think it is worth? Here are the details:
2007 2 Dr Rubicon
Black
Dual Tops
FT 3" Lift ( Economy)
35" BFG M/T on 17" Pro Cop Wheels
Custom Bumper
Custom Rock rails

No body damage, not even any pin stripping. Runs perfect, never had any problems, no accidents. Pics are in my gallery at the other site.

I know most will say keep it, and that is not out of the question. Right now i am just exploring the idea.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
check Kelly blue book value online or at your bank. Consider- high/ low sale value or trade-in value. Unfortunately, dont add up all your aftmkt mods to add to the value. It'll put the price too high. be prepared to eat that stuff, or pull the mods and ebay them. JMO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i know the mods won't bring much, unless just the right buyer came along.
I was thinking Around $25,000?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
As I have sold/ traded over a dozen jeeps and trucks in the past, that sounds like a fair starting price. To add 2 more things...You could try and put the price a little higher to "absorb" some of the mods, but w/ the economy these days, it would likely take a bit more time to sell (maybe OK, if your not in a hurry to get rid of it). Also (#2)...I'm sure that you are aware, that there are things you can do to get some better mileage out of the jeep...Unfortunately though, it will just be more money spent, that could ultimately be put into the gas tank instead. I dont know why...but I hate to see people sell their jeeps. If you sell it, remember you will likely regret it...but only for a short while. I had a 05' Tacoma and an 06' jeep unlimited that I STILL regret selling...and I got good money for both. Just consider all options, and dont look back. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
dont expect a lot of money or trade in value. Your not the only one thinking about gas and well, 4x4 SUVs and trucks are not exactly the hot item right now. My suggestion, take off the lift and tires, sell them, pick up some used Rubicon wheels and tires and wheel it like that. Better mpg from the small tires but it still leaves you capable to enjoy the trails.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Man, how many miles are you guys driving to where something like the cost of gas is making you want to get ride of your Jeeps? Not trying to be a smartass...I'm seriously curious.

Not sure how much your Jeep is worth...hard to price the aftermarket items. If I were you though, I wouldn't trade it in. You'd probably have better luck putting it on Craigslist and hoping to find a buyer looking for a newish Jeep with a lift.

BTW...noticed your signature and checked out the snowboards on the site...pretty good prices. Do you work for them, or just a fan of the business?

·
Registered
420 Posts
dont expect a lot of money or trade in value. Your not the only one thinking about gas and well, 4x4 SUVs and trucks are not exactly the hot item right now. My suggestion, take off the lift and tires, sell them, pick up some used Rubicon wheels and tires and wheel it like that. Better mpg from the small tires but it still leaves you capable to enjoy the trails.
This is good advice - a stock JK gets similar gas mileage to the Tacoma/Explorer/Grand you're considering (and I think premium gas is recommended for the Tacoma). But, it sounds to me like you're the type that is not really a die hard jeeper and one that likes to change vehicles every few years and maybe you're looking at gas prices as an excuse to make the change. In that case, unload the JK and move on to something you want to drive - life's too short!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, i know the mods won't bring much, unless just the right buyer came along.
I was thinking Around $25,000?
I'd be very surprised if you got that much. I would expect 20-21k. Modifications generally do not increase the vaule of a vehicle. You'd be lucky if you get 20 cents on the dollar for your modifications.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is good advice - a stock JK gets similar gas mileage to the Tacoma/Explorer/Grand you're considering (and I think premium gas is recommended for the Tacoma)...
I can confirm this. We currently have an Explorer as a family vehicle. It gets 14-15 tooling around town. The highway is only slightly better although with long hauls we can get 21-22.

I had a Tacoma before we had the Explorer. It didn't require premium fuel. Its mileage was pretty much right on with my Jeep (pre-lift anyway).

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I figured...He doesnt sound desperste, so why not start out a little high at 25k. Yea, Duke... $21,000...sad but (probably) true...

·
Registered
441 Posts
On the other note, I kind of get a kick out of people's knee jerk reaction to sell their vehicle to save money on gas. Especially considering the cost of a new vehicle, depreciation, et al. However, if your reason is for change then great exercise your options and try to choose a vehicle manufacturerd here to help out the economy.

Gas is not sustainable at the current price and the market is already starting to correct. I think it'll always be higher than it was, but I don't see an issue unless the dollar really tanks. It's not great right now, but I mean somewhere along the valuation of the peso or something.

·
Registered
962 Posts
See if you can ride it out a bit longer. If you sell it, sure as hell you'll see one later on and kick yourself. Or at least wait until the resale value is more reasonable if you desire a change. Like it was said, gas heavy vehicles are not selling well now.

I thought about selling mine for a bit, but bought a small enduro bike instead. It gets 65-70 mpg, I ride it for a while, then go back to the Jeep. I figured out that I have to ride to work 7 days a month for it to pay for itself. After that it's money in my pocket. I only filled the Jeep up once last month and I missed the fuel spike here also. We are now down to 3.52 from 3.89.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well John I do not know where you live but I'd take 3.59 any day. I beleive the cheapest I've found was 3.80 on this past Sunday. I have two other toys to fill up and one takes 10 gallons and the other takes 22 gallons.

As for MPG it's unfortunate but I would honestly think that in 3 years the improvements on new vehicles will be significant enough that your JK will be a good weekend vehicle and you can get into something that has better MPG. As mentioned above the correction has begun and until the commodity market adjusts we will be in a dwon cycle for at least the next month or two. I suspect we will break $100 a barrel pricing to more in the 90 range when all said and done. note crued oil is down 18% in 20 days but gas is only down 5%. It will all change.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well John I do not know where you live but I'd take 3.59 any day. I beleive the cheapest I've found was 3.80 on this past Sunday. I have two other toys to fill up and one takes 10 gallons and the other takes 22 gallons.

As for MPG it's unfortunate but I would honestly think that in 3 years the improvements on new vehicles will be significant enough that your JK will be a good weekend vehicle and you can get into something that has better MPG. As mentioned above the correction has begun and until the commodity market adjusts we will be in a dwon cycle for at least the next month or two. I suspect we will break $100 a barrel pricing to more in the 90 range when all said and done. note crued oil is down 18% in 20 days but gas is only down 5%. It will all change.
I'm in Tulsa Oklahoma. Another thing that helps MPG is to buy 100% real gas, not that 10% ethanol crap. I picked up almost 2.5 mpg just by changing where I buy go juice.
What kills me is the Z06 is over 500hp but knocks down over 20mpg on the highway.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I've been thinking of buying an enduro myself...but I only drive about 20 miles a day so it wouldn't be a huge savings. I was actually excited that I only paid 4.08 for gas this morning...it's gone down 60 cents!

·
Registered
962 Posts
4.08, down .60....where do you live?
I drive/ride 22 miles round trip. I used to fill the Jeep every 8 days. Plus the bike makes a great trail scouting vehicle.

This is a cool site,http://www.gasbuddy.com/, I like the gas temp map.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
so, you say you want to sell your jeep because of the gas prices, but you want to buy something that only gets a couple mpg's better?

just think of all the money you will lose on the aftermarket parts, and how much more money you will spend on a new, higher payment....you'll end up with less money in your pocket if you sell it.

with those vehicles you listed, you probably won't save enough on gas money in 6 years to cover what you will lose on your mods and a higher car payment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts