JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people run or have run fenderless? I'm thinking about it very seriously.

I don't like the big black fenders and giant factory bumper. I am going to stubby the bumper and thought about trimming the fenders but also thought that just pulling them would be much faster.

I live in Texas so if anybody knows of a fender law here let me know. Pics and thoughts are greatly appreciated. :koolaid:

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Def checks the local laws to make sure you wont get pulled over.

It is the easiest way to go but kind of a pain in the ass when it comes to driving on dirty roads as the entire side of your Jeep will quickly be covered in crap.

Here is mine currently fenderless:

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I ran around like this for many moons:

My personal opinion is that it looked better like this than it does now. (Edit: I really, really feel this way looking at it now.)

I've never been pulled over and I didn't have flares, third brake light, front plate, license plate light, marker lights on the front, ummm...you name it. Never been messed with in my travels and I have been in front of, behind, next to, and nearly on top of cop cars in it. LOL :gluging:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcus, did you remove the rears and then cut the fronts down to damn near nothing? Also, what did you use to paint the pinch seams?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
not to highjack but Marcus how did you paint your grill? Did you tape it or you something different? TIA

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Marcus, did you remove the rears and then cut the fronts down to damn near nothing? Also, what did you use to paint the pinch seams?
Basically yes.

Here is a picture next to Bodyguy's JK. His were better than mine IMO:

I used Rustoleum bedliner in the aerosol can on EVERYTHING on my JK. The rear fender wells all the way out to where the tub becomes flat on the front and rear are bedlined as well as the whole area underneath my body armor.

Use the GREEN 3M painter's tape and take your time masking everything off and then give it hell. That stuff will get on everything and coat the floor of your work area with a black dust. Wear a respirator if you use it.

Marcus

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
not to highjack but Marcus how did you paint your grill? Did you tape it or you something different? TIA
I taped it off very carefully and then sprayed it with the Rustoleum. Then I used a Q-Tip and brake cleaner to put the finishing touches on it.

Did that in our living room back in 2010 while drinking beer and watching football. Jennie was PISSED when she came home. LOL.

I hit her over the head with my :marcy: and told her to calm down.

Marcus

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I taped it off very carefully and then sprayed it with the Rustoleum. Then I used a Q-Tip and brake cleaner to put the finishing touches on it.

Did that in our living room back in 2010 while drinking beer and watching football. Jennie was PISSED when she came home. LOL.

Marcus
:laughing2: too funny, i really like the look of it, i think it would look good on my mango. I might try and find one of the same color at the junk yard first tho, thanks for the help :koolaid:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember what tools you used to pull them? I'd prefer not to tear them up so I can reinstall or sell if I want.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

Marcus
I'm surprised you didn't pass out from fumes :faint:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can anybody give me a good estimate on how long to pull the fenders and chopping the front bumper? I have to budget my time very carefully with a 19 month old son, new dog and a pregnant wife.

Thanks.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
can anybody give me a good estimate on how long to pull the fenders and chopping the front bumper? I have to budget my time very carefully with a 19 month old son, new dog and a pregnant wife.

Thanks.
If you pull the flares without much care you can knock that out in about 30 minutes. If you're trying to be nice with them it'll take you some time. The clips are probably going to break either way, so I'd just grab a corner and apply pressure until they come to you. LOL

The front inner fender is held on with three or four 10mm bolts and then its
all clips from there. Don't forget to undo your marker light.

The front bumper can be a son of a bitch to get on and off. That might take some time to finish.

Marcus

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
i could only imagine the rooster tails!!! love the look but wouldnt like that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts