JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little bit of money to spend and I am considering some flares. Initially considering the Bushwackers but not exactly keen on the plastic and the raised outside "tube" of them. Maybe PSC Aluminum or steel. I just dot know. I know the steel vs aluminum weight wise is another 40 pounds heavier on steel but is it really a big deal in the big scheme of things.

I have the Teraflex 6" long arm and 37's. no mediate plans for any hardcore wheeling due to a two year old and another due here any minute. However in the future there will be some potential scrapes and some 40's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I went with the Bushwackers myself after being advised that the tubs on the JK's aren't as strong as the T/YJ's and that its easy for the tub to collapse under the metal tube fender if pushed against a rock or tree. I'm not sure just how big of concern it really would be but I'd rather destroy a piece of plastic than my tub.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I'm on my third set of PSC flares on my third JK. I ran aluminum on the first one and have put steel on the last two. There is a significant weight savings with the aluminum flares and they won't rust in the crevices either.

Whether you bolt on a plastic flare or a metal flare, you still stand the chance of damaging the tub when you smash the fenders into something. I have laid one of the Jeeps on it's side with the PSC flares and there wasn't any damage to the tub. The plastic flares will deform and will ultimately end up being smashed between the body and the hard surface. You're not going to have that with a steel / aluminum flare and the force will be spread evenly over the mounting points which should result in less damage if any vs the alternative.

Marcus

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got a little bit of money to spend and I am considering some flares. Initially considering the Bushwackers but not exactly keen on the plastic and the raised outside "tube" of them. Maybe PSC Aluminum or steel. I just dot know. I know the steel vs aluminum weight wise is another 40 pounds heavier on steel but is it really a big deal in the big scheme of things.

I have the Teraflex 6" long arm and 37's. no mediate plans for any hardcore wheeling due to a two year old and another due here any minute. However in the future there will be some potential scrapes and some 40's.

What are your fender laws in your state?

I have the bushwackers. Bought from marcus in early 2012. After running them for awhile i have rubbed on two trees leaving a crease in the front driver and the rear driver. They are not terrible looking and honestly love the flares.

Knowing what I do know today though I wish I would have just cut my stock flares. I am going to be taking my flares off in the up coming week or so to install some narrow cut stock flares. After doing a set for a buddy I am sold on them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Forget state law, fix-it tickets are cheap! Go with what looks good.

PSC Narrow!

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Peoblem with narrow flares is that your jeep will get covered in shit. I washed 140lbs of dried mud off my jeep last weekend. And am planning on having extensions made for the fronts.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Do not waste your money on the buskwackers. They are just stiff enough to take a hit and send it to the sheet metal, and not stiff enough to disctibute that hit over the whole surface. Not to mention that fade pretty bad. If mine were not free I would not be running them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts