JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has done it and what do you think? i only have a 2 door so the back seat would have to go. looking for some kind of mount ideas. i might make a triangle pod mount almost like a really low camera stand and mount the spare to it, just an idea but i really like the look of no spare on the back so im really considering mounting it inside. if anyone has pics post them please

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I think its a cool idea but I'm gonna wait till my JK is a dedicated trail rig. With the top up and all zipped up it'll smell like rubber inside.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
2 door with 35" mounted in back. Then I made a platform that is anchored with ratchet straps to the tub. On that I mount my tool box, 2 dry boxes, and on top of the tire goes a cooler....all of which is securely ratchet-strapped to stay in place on the trial.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Been there. Stinky.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Is it realy that bad? Do you think a tire cover would hold in the funky tire smell:)
Smell? What smell? Doesn't bring the stink in the least imo. I guess if your spare is covered in gumbo-mud, dog shit, etc. But besides a faint smell of rubber (with the top and doors on) I've never smelled anything unbearable from having my spare inside. Keeps it clean and out of the elements too- sun exposure, etc.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had mine inside (2dr) for a while. The back seat anchor spots are perfect to hold your ratchet strap hooks. It was nothing like stubs^^^^ cool setup, but didnt move at all. It made the jeep smell like rubber a little bit, but thats better than the "other" smell that was in there. And it went away after like a week.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies. tire is mounted in the rear as of now with a few ratchet straps. going to try it for a week and if i like it im leaving it and ordering a tramp stamp:D

does anyone have solutions for third brake light and license plate light if i relocate it to the center???

o and does anyone make plugs for the holes in the back where the rubber stops used to be?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I ditched my 3rd brake light- but there are some small aftermkt brake lights avail.

I picked up a cheapie license-plate light from Auto Zone (could only find chrome), painted it black, and mounted it to a steel plate that ties into the existing carrier bolt holes on the tailgate- utilizing the factory bolts. Just used some plastic spacers (about 1 1/2") to clear the factory vent cover. Tapped into the factory license plate light wires and ran them through the inside of the tailgate, under the tailgate seal, over to the drive side. I think I pulled back the carpet to run the wires through an already factory hole where the rear hard-top washer/ defrost harness comes out of the tub. It's clean- no exposed wiring. Looks factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Of the 3 people I know who have mounted the tire inside, none left it there. They all went on to plan B.

No matter what the tough people claim, after your Jeep sits in the sun it will stink like tire.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like StubEXRube's platform. In fact, I like it so much I may imitate it to tie down my toolbox and extras as I haven't come up with a real great way to do so yet. I think that concept and the one I saw on the forum where the guy cut up a rear 2dr seat and made a whole harness/bracket setup for the spare and "now" 1/2 seat were the best options if you want to run with the spare inside. When I trail ride, I just require too much extra cargo space (tools, tent, camping gear, etc) for the spare to come along inside.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Of the 3 people I know who have mounted the tire inside, none left it there. They all went on to plan B.

No matter what the tough people claim, after your Jeep sits in the sun it will stink like tire.
Either:

A) Goodyear installed some type of rubber-smell repelant

or

B) Having the bikini on all summer, the outside air throws the rubber smell out

I don't fucking smell rubber tire in the JK...even now with the fucking top and windows back on. I don't get why people want to tell me otherwise on what I'm smelling in my JK.:shaking:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
If you have an on board air system you can consider not running a spare. Saves mucho weight and helps with rig balance. Most good off road tires have strong enough sidewalls a rip is unlikely. Carry plenty of plugs and you'll be covered. Ran my former YJ trail rig that way for five years and never missed the spare.

The JK's extended frame at the rear can provide some interesting bumper options if you eliminate the need for a spare tie carrier. I've been looking for someone to do an XJ-type simple cover for the frame extension and a CJ-style fold down tailgate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts