JKOwners Forum banner

Thinking about buying this JK, thoughts?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  WagsJeepn 
#1 ·
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...-c/1402564443?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's an 07 with the automatic trans.

Get the look of a lifted 50k Wrangler Unlimited.

Sahara Trim Package
Steel Blue Color
2.5" Rough Country lift with Stabilizer
NEW 33.5 x 12.5" Mud tires
Tires have MS rating for winter
Fresh Inspection
Fresh Service @ 289,000km with new Battery, Plugs, Wires, and Fluid Changes
2 Tops. Freedom hard Top, and New Soft Top.

No smoking, no kids, No accidents. Located in DT Kelowna.

Will consider trades for 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup trucks.
This is the lowest priced JK Unlimited in BC, so kindly do your pricing research prior to contacting me. Thank You.
289000km = 180,000 miles (roughly)

Asking price in USD is $8800.

I haven't seen it in person, since I don't live there. But it looks fairly clean in the pictures.

The first line of the ad almost made me hit the back button. :laughing2:

He claims the engine doesn't use oil, so maybe it will actually last to 250,000 miles? Says oil has been changed 5-7k km intervals (so like 3-5k miles, roughly), recent other fluid changes, no major parts have ever been changed (uh? Should it not have needed some unit bearings by now?).

Says there was a CEL for an emissions monitor code, and cruise is intermittent. I'm going to hit him back with some more questions later. How jank is that RC lift likely to be? I'm guessing it's just a set of $100 spacers and some longer swaybar links?

But really, do you think it's pretty much going to be a clapped out time bomb at this point, or should it reasonably go to 250k miles? I'm planning to DD it for a while, if I change my mind about owning one again I can sell it, otherwise I'll probably eventually throw some upgrades at it, I'd just be upset if it spins a rod bearing or fries the clutch packs in the transmission before I commit to it. I'm aware the 3.8/auto combination is terrible.

See less See more
#2 ·
personally I wouldn't even look at it. It may have had all the fluids changed, but 280,000 k on the entire vehicle means she is wore out all around. spend the extra $1000 or 2 on a newer unit with less mileage and start building it to how you want your Jeep to be. IMHO rough country is garbage product, so you'll end up replacing it anyway.

Shop around and you'll find something you like. If you are on here asking advise means you probably already know you should walk away.

#4 ·
The spread between this turd and a better one is more than a couple thousand.

As in:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...wd/1375633695?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$2K more gets you about 70,000km less. Which I guess is worth it, but IMHO there's a good chance that 3.8 is already sucking oil like a fairy sucks... rooster. Is a greasy dealer better than a private sale? Ehh...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ed/1397919514?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$3K more and I wouldn't touch this with a 20' pole with a condom on it while wearing a biohazard suit. Oh yeah, anyone that's stupid enough to put that grille on needs a postnatal abortion.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ed/1398548853?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$4K more and it's got a Punisher decal on the hood. Does anyone here know the story of Ashke and the Punisher Jeep, as it was told on Pirate? Yeah, no thanks. Okay, it's actually got some good parts on it, but there was some money wasted too. Trutracs? Eh, I love it on the street, but for what they're worth he should have thrown Zips at it. Actually, for the money into upgrading the axles there would have been a lot of better options. I'd also assume everything is worn out and that's actually the reason they want to sell it. But I could be wrong.

I'll probably just wait and see what else comes up.

#5 ·
I really think it depends on your intentions with it, which is the best value. I mean, for the $10,000 price difference, you could have new axles, or a new engine and transmission. You could also rebuild the steering and upgrade it. If you just want one to buy, drive, and expect to last another 200,000 km, good luck.
That’s just the way I looke at things.

#6 ·
That's the thing. I only care it doesn't explode immediately, as I'll likely only put 3000km on it before next fall. If it blows up, I'm stuck, I either have to fix it or mod it. If I decide not to keep it and it hasn't died, I'm less likely to lose as much since I'm into it for a lot less to begin with. If I keep it I'm money ahead spending less, as everything that's worn out sucks anyways. If you're going to do anything you might as well either get wrecker Rubicon axles or crate axles, and while you're in there you're going to change most of the suspension components out anyways. The engine and trans were never a good combo to begin with, so if you're at the point that you're willing to go for it with the modifications, having them die is really just the motivation to do it.

So the question is just how close is the time bomb to blowing?

I also found this absolute gem:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...al/1406822358?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

They didn't answer the phone, so I don't know what they want, but based on their ability to take pictures I'm sure it's a creampuff!

#7 ·
She wants $10K for the shitty picture green one with the blown engine and 240,000km on it.

I told her there's no way, and if I was interested it would be at the $6k mark. She kept telling me there was new parts on it (alternator and whatever). IT DOESN'T MATTER, THE ******* ENGINE IS BLOWN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.