JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been debating a Mosin for a while now. I'm not sure what there is to think about at $100 or less, though. :D Should I pick up one of these mule-kicking bolt actions from Mother Russia?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I have had one for about ten years now. I love this thing. Ammo is cheap. I got 880 rds for $120. Just clean it after you shoot since most ammo for it is very corrosive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes! They are fun and inexpensive to shoot. R Guns has a nice selection of them, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a better deal somewhere else. I've been meaning to pick up a M44 to compliment my 91/30.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ive bought a ton of MNs with my C&R License. Most of which I hand picked from shows after cleaning away enough cosmoline to do a thorough inspection.

This M44 was re-barreled (not counter-bored) and in pristine condition, but had a cracked stock and no matching numbers. I usually do not like destroying collectible military weapons, but had to break the rules on this one. I decided to make it a "Cooper-inspired" Scout Rifle.

I customized the scope mount to make it solid (most commercial MN mounts are horrible). The synthetic stock was fitted and glass bedded by me. after removing the bayo lug, I threaded the barrel and attached a smith muzzle brake to control the big blast that exits these short barrels, then recrowned the barrel for accuracy. The bolt has been polished and is smooth as butter. The horrible factory trigger was replaced with a Huber Concepts match trigger. I then painted the whole rifle (minus the bolt) with Duracote desert camo.

Yea, I probably put too much time and money into this gun when an off the shelf Savage or Remington 700 will do the same, but the coolness factor is unbeatable - and I get to shoot 54R!!!

Grass Lawn Yard Tree Grass family
Shooting sport Circle Table Shooting Metal

Edit: I put a few big boars to sleep with this baby! 54R soft points are AWESOME big boar killers.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You put 20xs more into it then it will ever be worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It's a polished terd...but it"s his polished turd..iv"e done the same thing to guns before..but there a different hobbie to me too

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You have to think people ww2 was like shooting fish in a barrel you could have got half that many with a bow and arrow

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You have to think people ww2 was like shooting fish in a barrel you could have got half that many with a bow and arrow

I agree with you. Modern tactical warfare is considerably more advanced than it was durring WWII. I'm just saying that the rifle has proven history to it. You're not going to hit a target 1.5 miles out but 300+ meters is something that is within the range of this weapon.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You put 20xs more into it then it will ever be worth
I don't buy and build my own guns to sell. Its a hobby and I do it because I can. I bought the gun for $80 at a show, and put another $200 in it. If you are buying guns as a monetary investment, you are a lousy investor. I have bolt guns that do 1/2MOA all day, but they don't put a smile on my face like the 5' fireball coming out the muzzle of an M44 will.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Lousy investor?? I make more money in guns in 2 months than you probably make at work in a year, so most would say pretty damn good investor. Hell walked into a crappy gunshow Saturday with $800 in my pocket and walked out with over $4000 in guns that will be sold in less than 4 days

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I make more money in guns in 2 months than you probably make at work in a year.
If your making several hundred thousand in 2 months, I'm quitting my lousy job right now and working the shows!

I'm no gun dealer, just like to build and collect - but I didn't know the shows were that lucrative. I have several friends that work the shows and they barely make ends meet, especially since the Obama scare ended and prices/demand are down. Kudos to you for making it work :beer:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Lousy investor?? I make more money in guns in 2 months than you probably make at work in a year, so most would say pretty damn good investor. Hell walked into a crappy gunshow Saturday with $800 in my pocket and walked out with over $4000 in guns that will be sold in less than 4 days

I can vouch for what he got.. I think it"s like this...right now in the housing market 500k home are being bought up for less than half..same thing with guns..people that are hard up and need to sell there guns...now if you have the cash as a buyer you are in prime position to make a killing in guns right now...guns,gold ect cash is king and those that have it right now have tons of opportunity they didn't have years ago..my .02

1 - 20 of 23 Posts