JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just sitting here at my desk this morning and decided out of a clear blue sky that I should write a book.

Always wanted to write one, so I started sketching out a plot. Got to thinking about the crazy prices on gold and how cool it would be to discover a sunken treasure at today's gold prices.

I'm thinking it begins as a civil war period piece that morphs into a modern day treasure hunt with a prize bigger than the one found on Atocha (Google it) and then split the plot bouncing back and forth between the 1850's and modern day to lay a trail for the treasure hunters.

Robbery on the high seas, some deception, a murder here and there to keep things quiet and maybe the main character gets laid a time or two in there somewhere. If nothing else, this is gonna be fun. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get it published and finally blow this popsicle stand.:smokin:

So you might not be seeing me for awhile and if you do, I'll be asking some pretty WEIRD questions.

BTW:
Anyone a buff on civil war maritime history? Gotta find a ship that would be a good fit for my treasure carrier...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I say go for it. My Dad wrote a book, not much ever came out of it...but then again it was titled "The funniest thing I ever saw":shaking:

A decent book would carry on the Dan legacy...mabe you should just post news reports:beer:

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL - Yeah, it does kinda sound like something Cussler would write about. But isn't imitation the most sincere form of flattery?

Guess I should probably check to see if old Clive hasn't already written this one first before I get going on it...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
He wrote one very similar. It was SAHARA I believe or something like that. Was a damn good book. The movie was just ok. But hell yeah to writing the book. There are many authors that write fiction along the same story line. It's all in how you tell it and the characters that play the roles. Plus we all know that you have a way with words.words

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Although fictional, the sex scenes described in the John Ringo techno-thriller series starting with "Ghost" were a true homerun for men. You should include something like that into this and you'll be rolling in the dough. Remember me when you get paid please, I'll do security for your signings.

(and yes to all you haters, I can read WORDS, not just look at titty pictures)

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He wrote one very similar. It was SAHARA I believe or something like that. Was a damn good book. The movie was just ok. But hell yeah to writing the book. There are many authors that write fiction along the same story line. It's all in how you tell it and the characters that play the roles. Plus we all know that you have a way with words.words
Dammit... :pissed: and I actually read that one.

Must be why this storyline was all coming along WAY too easily...

It's almost the EXACT same fuckin plot!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've read just about all the Dirk Pitt novels, and your plot seems to be a winning theme amongst just about all of Cussler's books. Be it ships, trains, submarines or airplanes, Cussler's just about covered all of it. However, I'm sure there have been one or two other people who've written books along much the same lines.

I say write it anyway. Just don't have there be any kind of crazy waste evaporation facility in Mali, and you should be alright!

I do think it's interesting that those of us who are like-minded in vehicles, are also like-minded in reading material...

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read just about all the Dirk Pitt novels, and your plot seems to be a winning theme amongst just about all of Cussler's books. Be it ships, trains, submarines or airplanes, Cussler's just about covered all of it. However, I'm sure there have been one or two other people who've written books along much the same lines.

I say write it anyway. Just don't have there be any kind of crazy waste evaporation facility in Mali, and you should be alright!

I do think it's interesting that those of us who are like-minded in vehicles, are also like-minded in reading material...
Fuck it, I think I'll still give it a whirl. I ran through my copy of Sahara on the Nook and it's a little different. Altough, I did have several points of plot that were similar, I think there's enough differentiation there to avoid being labelled a dirty whore plagarist.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You could change it up and make it about a fat hillbilly that was wheeling on some awesome rock obstacles while fingering his toothless cousin and while he is stopped to change a rear chromoly axle shaft, that ain't supposed to break, he comes across an old civil war chest buried under a massive oak tree that has had the roots exposed because all his friends do NOT tread lightly and inside the chest are memoirs and maps of buried treasure that take him to moab, the swamps of florida, the deserts of Cali, poser shot on plymoth rock, and shit like that while trying to find this monumental treasure of fortune and historical value and you could team him up with a smart ass yankee cop along the lines of John Corey whom he can share his toothless cousin with while on the hunt and maybe even throw in the terrorist plot to keep them on their toes and it can have a whole chapter on a wrangler that is being chased by an fj but can't keep up. Lots of ways to make a story your own brotha. Write it and they will read.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Instead of it being an Iron Clad vessel like in Saharah, make it a blockade runner, full of cotton and gold bound for France to pay to get the French Army over to join in. Crew can mutiny, get hijacked, or have a run in with a union man o war. Takes damage but doesnt sink, until a big as storm puts it down in the English Chanel. Scavengers diving off Normandy looking for one of the "floating" D-Day tanks run across the wreck.

Just a thought.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instead of it being an Iron Clad vessel like in Saharah, make it a blockade runner, full of cotton and gold bound for France to pay to get the French Army over to join in. Crew can mutiny, get hijacked, or have a run in with a union man o war. Takes damage but doesnt sink, until a big as storm puts it down in the English Chanel. Scavengers diving off Normandy looking for one of the "floating" D-Day tanks run across the wreck.

Just a thought.
Didnt the French support the Union during the Civil War? Not sure the south ever even sought their full-fledged support.

Besides, a blockade runner loaded with gold wouldn't be able to make more than 3knots. I can walk faster than that. War would be over before they arrived in France

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
BTW:
Anyone a buff on civil war maritime history? Gotta find a ship that would be a good fit for my treasure carrier...
Not really a buff, but I grew up in Hampton, VA and we used to make regular trips to Ft. Monroe (we lived close enough to it to hear Revielle in the morning and the cannons fire in the evening).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Monroe

Maybe some kind of storyline where Lincoln was keeping the gold stashed there and tried to get it out? Maybe a conspiracy between he and Jefferson Davis? Maybe a rogue ironclad captain trying to get the goods out of dodge? Or, maybe a pay off to free Davis that got discovered?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Why don't you just consolidate all your posts on here and publish those? I mean it'll rival War and Peace for length (if not the Encyclopedia) but it would be easier than actually trying to think of words to put together into a novel... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Why don't you just consolidate all your posts on here and publish those? I mean it'll rival War and Peace for length (if not the Encyclopedia) but it would be easier than actually trying to think of words to put together into a novel... :grinpimp:
That was my first thought when I saw the title.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Didnt the French support the Union during the Civil War? Not sure the south ever even sought their full-fledged support.

Besides, a blockade runner loaded with gold wouldn't be able to make more than 3knots. I can walk faster than that. War would be over before they arrived in France
Actually France and England supported the South

http://www.civilwarhome.com/europeandcivilwar.htm

As far as slow sailing goes, running a blockade is more about stealth than speed. Fully loaded ships made it out and made runs to Europe all the time.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
So I was just sitting here at my desk this morning and decided out of a clear blue sky that I should write a book.

Always wanted to write one,

^
I say..... Do It !!

BTW:
^
I am a huge Civil War History buff..... Specifically the Maritime aspect. My wife and I toured a museum years ago that had recovered/restored a submarine type boat used by the South, in the Mississippi River.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, that one's already been written. And would probably lead to jail time for someone if anyone starts fact checking everything...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.