JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened to me and it could have been worse. At least the [email protected]%#^&* S.O.B. only UNZIPPED the side window for access instead of slashing it but still.....

So the story is: Someone broke into my jeep in a downtown Houston parking garage yesterday. They rifled the glove comapartment and moved some blankets I have stuffed on the side of my TUFFY trunk but the only thing I can find missing are my Wal-Mart sunglasses (I had the expensive, funky, Foster Grant Classic ones - $14. Heh.) In their haste they totally missed my maglight and handheld scanner stuffed under my drivers seat and the display for the backup camera. They left my XM (it was disconnected), and knocked off the CB microphone from the holder). I think they opened a door and set off the alarm (score one for the stock jeep alarm - now enhanced with a Wolo BadBoy air horn).

So my TUFFY console, TUFFY overhead (containing my CB), and TUFFY trunk (all locked) were untouched.

I moved the remaining items into the trunk. I almost wish they'd slashed the window, at least I could have claimed the top was damaged and had it replaced to cure that freaking leak! Better luck next time......

(I also hate to sound like an advertisement for TUFFY but the locked compartments did their job! The key for the wheel locks, GPS, TOOLS an assorted other electronics were untouched.)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congrats on not losing the important stuff, I hate thieves.

Ron

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Glad it worked out for you this time. Sounds like it was a crack head looking for cash or guns. I had a truck broke into one time in downtown Atlanta. There wasn't anything missing but my crap was scattered everywhere. They used a screw driver in the door key hole and tore a big hole in the door. It worked though.

I hate thieves. :thefinger:

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
Even if they didn't get anything too valuable, you still get that ugly 'violated' feeling.
Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem with the JK yet.
My YJ got hit twice - both times for stereo gear
an aftermarket alarm with a radar sensor was the next mod
the radar was great because it still gave some protection even with the top down - just took a lot of tweaking to get the range set to where you actually had to reach into the jeep.
I hate thieves.:pissed:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
glad they didn’t take anything big. I know the feeling. I remember walking out of my house to go to school a few years ago and my driver side glass was on the street, dashboard ripped up, wires cut for the radio and speakers gone from the trunk... sick feeling when you cant do crap about it... lets hope karma takes a full swing.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yep... A trunk and center box is in my near future also.

Is TUFFY the metal ones? Thats what i want.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Friend of mine owns a car alarm/ stereo business...Told me the majority of his (alarm syst installs) come to him immed after their car was broken into. In galveston (south of Houston), I had 2 TJs and a Toyota Taco violated by stereo theives. What they broke, stained, and ripped in the process was worth more than the stereo they got...Shouldve left the doors UNLOCKED. "Violated" was also MY reoccuring feeling, however...better to be an honest/ helpful guy that sometimes gets screwed...than to be a worthless theif (and probably drug addict)...no soul. Please wash/ clean your jeep..inside/ out...and even that will make you feel better...for real!

·
Registered
25 Posts
B-stards thieves have no respect.

I fell victim about 2 months ago. Parked my JK in a well lit lot during rugby practice and when I came back noticed my hood latches were undone. For some ungodly reason they stole my oil dipstick. I've only seen one other JK in my 6 months in Spain so why they decided to take that I dunno. Lucky nothing else was taken.

I hate thieves.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice that they took so little. I'm sure they will get their's when those cheap sunglasses of yours break and a piece of the plastic gets in their eyes blinding them for life. Sucks for them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I almost wish they'd slashed the window, at least I could have claimed the top was damaged and had it replaced to cure that freaking leak! Better luck next time......

Don't you own a box cutter. You should have cut it yourself. Only you would have known.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad they didn't take anything else. That's why I built me a trunk kit.

I use my Jeep for hunting and I was very worried about leaving my guns and ammo in the trunk with the plastic zip-me-up-windows. Not worried anymore. I call it "Bash's Trunk Kit".

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Tuffy stuff really does rock. I live about an hour away from their shop and what a great group of folks! Anyhow, I have their drawer, console insert and glove box. They're soon coming out with a center console tray/locking radio cover (I just got a sneak peak at it yesterday) that I'll buy when they go into production. I have no qualms about leaving my top down and windows open these days.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hate to hear this. They'll get theirs eventually:devil:

My Cherokee was broken into a while back, they broke the little window out of the back driver side door, busted the dash to hell, tore out the wiring for a crappy 100.00 radio.

I've got a Tuffy console insert in the JK, well worth the cash. I don't worry as much now, and I leave the glove box unlocked.

I hate theives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am i deputy and recently had the priviledge to actually catch a car burglar trying to break into my JK, while i was working. The only thing about it was once we caught him(he tried running) he gave up without a fight or struggle. so no street justice. no damage to my ride but witnessed him trying to get in my JK and friends truck. broke somebody else's window and broke the radio antenna. Radio antenna???? WTF.:pissed:

·
Registered
229 Posts
That is why I do not lock the Jeep when the soft top is on, and I leave nothing of value in it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hate to hear stuff like this. My little brother has a stereo/alarm place. He told me about an alarm that uses a very loud high pitch alarm to actually cause pain. I believe it is called a “pain generator” (strange name huh?) It is my next Mod. Hope to get it in before the lowlifes show up.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That is why I do not lock the Jeep when the soft top is on, and I leave nothing of value in it.
the only problem with that is the fact that thieves usually aren't too bright. i've known two guys that had their jeeps broken into. they both had their doors unlocked, but the thieves cut the windows anyway to get in (instead of just unzipping them).

it might work some of the time, but in my experience, thieves aren't smart enough to just try the door handle.....that would be too easy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
the only problem with that is the fact that thieves usually aren't too bright. i've known two guys that had their jeeps broken into. they both had their doors unlocked, but the thieves cut the windows anyway to get in (instead of just unzipping them).

it might work some of the time, but in my experience, thieves aren't smart enough to just try the door handle.....that would be too easy.
I wouldn't say they weren't too bright....some alarms are wired into the dome light hot wire. Open the door, alarm goes off. Cutting a window decreases the chance of getting caught. Now the cutting vs. unzipping, yeah, that's just plain mean. They probably either don't know it unzips, or just don't care.
Either way they should be shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a viper or python alarm system with proximity sensor. I have one - first stage is a warn away, second stage it screams bloody murder. I can't imagine someone hanging around when that goes off. Cheap protection.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
A thief at my work parking garage broke out the drivers side window and took my GPS along with with 5 other cars, and this happened in a secure building in Falls Church, VA....I hate theives......car was not the same after that and I got rid of it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts