JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got fed up with the retarded looking chrome on the front yesterday and tried to take it off. I could only get the ends off and couldn't get the center section to come off. Has anyone here removed this piece before? Heres some pics of how far I got before I split my finger open on the jagged edge of chrome. I could probably rip it off but I feel like the grill might break. Also any proven way to resurface and paint the doorhandles?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
what chrome are you talking about?

·
Registered
630 Posts
he has a chrome stick on insert.

I would suggest a heat gun and heating it up real hot in one spot and start to peel and then do it again a little bit further down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a hard thick plastic, heat gun wouldn't effect it. it snaps on on the ends but attached differently in the middle section. BTW im not asking this because im too lazy to figure it out. Both my arms are broken and any effort causes me a lot of pain so if I can avoid f-ing around with it more than i need to that would be nice

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
not sure how it goes on but I would probably remove the grill so I could get to the back of it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
not sure how it goes on but I would probably remove the grill so I could get to the back of it.
X2

I saw a JK with that chrome grille thing on the other day and I can see why you'd want to take it off ;)

Are the door handles chrome? If so, just scuff the surface up real good and paint or bedliner them. It may come off a little over time, but if you prep them well the paint should stick pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
JMO... if I had 2 broken arms, I wouldnt give a damn what was stuck to the front of my jeep... I feel for you, as most of us take the simple things for granted. Please get well soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
two broken arms

I broke both my arms back in '89 riding a race quad jumping dune hills in Yuma.
Clean breaks both bones, both arms right behind the wrists and dislocated and moved backwards 2 inches. I know the inconveniences your going through.
Try not to do too much before they heal. I messed around and now my right wrist only has 90 deg rotation and left 145 deg and discomfort and some pain in the right daily.
Did u get cast to the elbows or to the shoulders. mine was to the elbows, doc said he coulda run them to the shoulders but gave me a break.

Anyway, get well and enjoy the painkillers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Broke arms be damned!!!

Chrome goes on Muscle cars not Jeeps. Now get out there and get that **** off of there!:grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
its a hard thick plastic, heat gun wouldn't effect it. it snaps on on the ends but attached differently in the middle section. BTW im not asking this because im too lazy to figure it out. Both my arms are broken and any effort causes me a lot of pain so if I can avoid f-ing around with it more than i need to that would be nice
Thats what I'm talking about working in a Jeep with two broken arms, not that it matters but son I'm proud of ya :D Whats your location maybe some one could give you a hand or two :shaking:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts