JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just re joined this forum. Was in the jeep world for a while with my first jeep before selling it. Been kicking myself ever since.
However now I have bought an 08 wrecked 2 door that I'm going to pick up the beginning of September. It will not be a daily driver just a trail rig that might drive on the street sometimes. Just wanted to run a few of my plans by you guys to help get me ideas.

Just to get this out of the way so you can all tell me "it's too heavy" and "you'll twist your frame in half" etc etc. I'm stuffing a 24 valve cummins in this project. For wiring I'm going to try and run a dodge pcm and make my own gauge cluster.

Will run an nv4500 manual trans

Not sure what t case

I plan on going 2005+ Superduty ford axles I don't know shit about axles. Lockers. Or gears. I do know that the speedo works off of tone rings so I will need to figure that out.

I want to stretch the rear with whatever is financially doable and reasonable. (Really like the rk lift and stretch coilover package)

I want to use the river raider blank rear fenders.

Would like to have a rear seat of some kind

Plan on adding a pre fabbed cage from one of these companies that won't kill me money wise. (I like the look of the river raider cage)

Anyways stay tuned. It will be a couple of weeks before update but I just wanted to kick this off early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this progress, have been wanting to do something like this myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How torn up is the body your starting with? Frame straight?

Frame is straight. Doors and body mostly suck. But plan on cutting the rear anyways. Will get half doors and new windshield and whatever else

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
I should have started with the same thing. Mine will most likely end up that way anyway.

I think I remember there was someone else who put one of those engines in a JK. They called it Rattletrap or something. Looked pretty cool. Back of the engine was way behind the firewall and I bet it was hot as fuck. DEI and SwainTech should be your new friends.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have started with the same thing. Mine will most likely end up that way anyway.

I think I remember there was someone else who put one of those engines in a JK. They called it Rattletrap or something. Looked pretty cool. Back of the engine was way behind the firewall and I bet it was hot as fuck. DEI and SwainTech should be your new friends.

Yah I remember that. River raider did one also. They cut the firewall out and shoved half the block in the cab lol. I haven't really decided how I'll do that yet. I may try and scoot the tub back a little bit to avoid that. Idk. But yah I bet that was super hot. Which hot to me means dangerous. I have a cummins in my truck and they stay at about 190 degrees.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Yep. Google "MBRP Project Rattle Trap." There was a thread somewhere with a bunch of pics from the build, and there are a few youtube videos of it as well, some in Moab as I recall too. You could probably make the fab a lot easier with a 4BT instead of the 24V, but then you'd be losing a lot of power, so there's that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys just re joined this forum. Was in the jeep world for a while with my first jeep before selling it. Been kicking myself ever since.
However now I have bought an 08 wrecked 2 door that I'm going to pick up the beginning of September. It will not be a daily driver just a trail rig that might drive on the street sometimes. Just wanted to run a few of my plans by you guys to help get me ideas.

I am parting out a 2007 JKU if you need a body or windshield frame or anything at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the jeep has arrived. I got it home from Oklahoma to Missouri all in a day. Towed fine. Loaded it in a it 5 minutes and of I went.

Got it off the trailer and rolled it into the back of my garage where I want to work on it since it will be there a while lol.

Got the windshield off and the front half of the cage

Pulled most of the dash and steering column out

Pulled all wiring harnesses out

Removed the front fenders

Removed the fuse box and the abs system (left the lines for now, hoping I can use them)

Organized the parts as good as possible since they won't be going back in for quite some time. I don't have an unlimited bank like some of you jeepers do so it will be slow and steady.

Stick around and let's see what I can screw up!

·
Registered
50 Posts
subscribed... I love the idea of a 24 valve JK!!! I can't wait to watch this project progress!

Reactions: taylorfain2009

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
subscribed... I love the idea of a 24 valve JK!!! I can't wait to watch this project progress!

You and me both! I just wish there was more information out there on this. River raider did one a while back but I doubt they're going to give any feedback on little problems I'll run into. Along with mbrp did rattletrap. Or someone did rattletrap and mbrp sponsored it, I don't remember but there's limited information out there on both builds. I'm going to get some one tons and stretch and lift with body off of the frame before I get to the motor business

·
Registered
527 Posts
Your certainly not limited on space to work on it. Nice shop.
That's what I was thinking. I may have a good income, but my shop is a three car garage, and my wife refuses to give up her space, or two. I get the third for all my stuff. It may be time to sell my truck, just so I have a place at home to work. I don't want to sell my truck.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I may have a good income, but my shop is a three car garage, and my wife refuses to give up her space, or two. I get the third for all my stuff. It may be time to sell my truck, just so I have a place at home to work. I don't want to sell my truck.
New wife? Just saying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts