JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most weight of a tire can I run on my Rubicon axles with stock shafts? I’ve regeared, done the front sleeve and gusset combo. I’m currently running the 35 12.5/17 Toyo MTs (82.7pds each) on my 2 door. I’d like to run 37 12.5/17, but some of those tires are super heavy. Is there a certain weight I should not go over with the stock shafts? I know the lightest 37 inch tire is the KM2 at 70pds each and the heaviest looks like the PB Rocker at 92pds each.

If I put after market shafts in then how heavy of a tire can I run without compromising any carnage? I can be kinda heavy with the gas pedal, but it really depends on the condition of the trials…

·
Registered
803 Posts
The tire weight isn't much of an issue for your axle shafts, the change in tire diameter and ratio is where added torque to the axle shafts is coming from.
Tire weight will mostly influence suspension/steering responsiveness, load to the related components thereof and acceleration and deacceleration of the quarter mile burning JK ;)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
As already mentioned tire weight is not the only factor to consider. The longer lever arm of larger diameter tires is also a factor. If your driving style includes spinning your wheels a lot then weight is definitely something to consider.

You can break anything and some people will break strong after market shafts with small tires, and others will not break anything with stock shafts. Being easy on the skinny pedal can make a big difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts