JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While wheeling on Sunday I hit a tree with my left front tire which knocked my steering wheel off center. Drove home with the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol all lit up. On Monday I got underneath and re-centered the steering wheel and 25 miles later the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol turned off. I also inspected for any bent steering components, nothing obvious found. Got it up to 80 mph and rides straight as an arrow, no shake, no shimmy, no death wobble.

I’ve seen many posts of guys bending drag links and tie rods. When I got home Sunday night I went online and started shopping for a beefed up drag link and tie rod. Then I got to thinking, obviously the weak links is the drag link and tie rod, if I beef those up what becomes the next weak link? Would it be cheaper to re-center the steering wheel and possibly replace the drag link and/or tie rod or deal with whatever damage might be caused by the next weak link? Thoughts and ideas please.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
While wheeling on Sunday I hit a tree with my left front tire which knocked my steering wheel off center. Drove home with the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol all lit up. On Monday I got underneath and re-centered the steering wheel and 25 miles later the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol turned off. I also inspected for any bent steering components, nothing obvious found. Got it up to 80 mph and rides straight as an arrow, no shake, no shimmy, no death wobble.

I’ve seen many posts of guys bending drag links and tie rods. When I got home Sunday night I went online and started shopping for a beefed up drag link and tie rod. Then I got to thinking, obviously the week links is the drag link and tie rod, if I beef those up what becomes the next weak link? Would it be cheaper to re-center the steering wheel and possibly replace the drag link and/or tie rod or deal with whatever damage might be caused by the next weak link? Thoughts and ideas please.
#1 Tie Rod
#2 Drag Link
#3 Trackbar

I did Poly Performance on the tie rod and drag link. Then was in a rush and used a Teraflex track bar because it was in-stock locally. Taco'd the Teraflex first run off-road (sideways slide off a 30-degree slope). Replaced it with a Poly Performance track bar and no more problems.

What I like about the Poly is you can adjust everything without taking the rod-ends off. Nothing else I looked at at the time advertised that feature. They are also beefy as hell. I've dragged my tie rod over more rocks than I like to admit and although its scratched and scarred it never bent.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1 Tie Rod
#2 Drag Link
#3 Trackbar

I did Poly Performance on the tie rod and drag link. Then was in a rush and used a Teraflex track bar because it was in-stock locally. Taco'd the Teraflex first run off-road (sideways slide off a 30-degree slope). Replaced it with a Poly Performance track bar and no more problems.

What I like about the Poly is you can adjust everything without taking the rod-ends off. Nothing else I looked at at the time advertised that feature. They are also beefy as hell. I've dragged my tie rod over more rocks than I like to admit and although its scratched and scarred it never bent.
Thanks. I've got JKS adjustable track bars, so track bar is off my weak link list.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Exactly, and I rather deal with a bent drag link or tie rod. At the end of the day it would be cheaper, and I can use the money for other mods.
Yep. Stock tie rods and stuff are pretty cheap. A steering box..... Not so much!!!
There was a post in here somewhere the other day were the guy twisted his splines.:bawling:
I bent my draglink last trip and got a replace one for 30 bucks.
Here it is.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63149

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Check the lower control arm brackets. Did the same thing and that's what bent on mine. Kicked the axle back on that side. Abs/ESP kept kicking on and steering wheel was off center. The JK's have a steering wheel center sensor so if it's too far off center it thinks it's not driving straight and it freaks out (ask me how I know lol).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.