JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As I posted, I have had my JK for about 2 months now and ever since the first day, I have seen people waving at me in other Jeep Jeeps. Now I figured I should wave back and that it was similar to the Motorcycle rider kinda thing.. (I'm now in the JK Club)

Well why is it that I wave to every JK/TJ/CJ/YJ etc but only a small number of them wave back?

Women seem to be the least receptive to the " Wave"

Can some one tell me the rules (if there are any) or just tell me that I should keep waving and that those that don't wave back are not as Cool as Me ;)

Cheers and Trails

Imp

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Ok...Women are afraid to wave to any guy that shows a potential stalking mentality. These days that can be as little as a simple wave or "HI!". Many old school jeep owners will never take the JK seriously and will not wave. The jeep guys in my area see the mud the scratches the mods, and usually give the wave, but the closer to stock and cleaner looking a JK is...forget it. That is even more true for stock 4 door models as many old schoolers just think "soccer mom" and dont even look at all. I have realized too, that the sun a lot of times will reflect off the windshield and prevent the oncoming TJ/ CJ etc...to see that you are indeed saying "hey". Last...What I have learned to do (even when I had my TJ's...) is simply to give a nod or a peace sign while only looking out the corners of the eyes or not even look directly at em at all. When they go by...you have confirmed that you saw them and that you are hip to the wave, but not too eager to make a new friend. Cool, huh?

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
If you are still stock like us, you do get the intentional cold shoulder from time to time but don't let it bother you. I say just keep waving. I have gotten wave backs from many local TJ, YJ, etc. guys from persistence. And some always waved from day one.

As far as the 4-door syndrome. A lot (us included) are first time Jeep owners. A lot of them just bought it because it's the next cool SUV. Some of those will eventually get it, some never will and they will just trade it away when the next fad comes along.

Oh and welcone to the JK Club :) ........waves profusely

Edit> Here is a link to the Official Rules http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/index.html#rules

It is pretty funny and true.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm obsessed with the wave. Occasionally, I'll even wave to an old Cherokee (if it's lifted). However, I would never wave to a Liberty, unless she has a huge rack.

Great post Impaired!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never been a big fan of the wave rules. Just keep waving at everyone, they will either come around or they just don't get it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think some of the non-wavers are not paying attention to the traffic around them because of other distractions-mainly, the cell phone. At any given moment, at least 3 out of 5 people in traffic around me are on the damn phone. In the Jeep it's not that bad, but makes me nervous as hell on the bike. Sorry for the hijack.

I wave at 'em all, most the time I don't get it back. I mainly get them from the older Jeeps with lifts, tires and winches. And mud:D

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
I only wave if the jeep is lifted and looks like it's actually wheeled.

I see this guy in a TJ all the time, we have chatted at a stop light. Our jeeps look like brothers, haha. That is few and far between in socal tho, most people just look at you like you are fawking crazy.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
another note, informe your wife/GF about the wave or dont wave to women in jeeps, i wave to almost all jeeps (not liberty,or compass or crappy fake jeeps like that, unless their lifted) and it took about 5 waves to girls beofre my wife asked what was goin on and why i was waving at them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I seem to have the same problem, so don't feel like it's just you! Most of the when I wave to someone they don't wave back. I was hoping that waving to all of the Jeeps that I see on the road(yes, certain excpetions apply) would persuade them to give a friendly hello. I think one thing is that it depends on where live state-wise as well as big city or small town.

But I have to say as well that I'm tired of watching people drive by after I've waved to them and they don't do anything......

I know that a large majority of jeep owners probably wave and what not, but how come I can't find any of them!!

(stepping off my soap box now)

just a side note... I know that some of y'all said you don't wave to those who don't have their rig built up or look as if they've ever wheeled... but some of us have just started out and/or don't have the money to put into our rigs at this point (i'm speaking about myself at this point). Honestly, if I had 20,000 to burn right now, I would drop ever drop into my baby, but I don't, so it sucks! So maybe a small pity wave every once in a while?? pretty please?? hahaha. please and thank you...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
always wondered about this too

When my Jeep was stock nobody looked twice at it. After the lift and tires, I started to get the waves from other lifted Jeeps. Stock Jeeps still ignore me so I find myself waving at lifted Jeeps mostly. Recently, I waved at a Jeep that was setup nicely. Turned out it was a women driving and she had me on ignore. Oh well. One thing I found peculiar, is that pedestrians generally give me the right of way at intersections. They wave me right through.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
I seem to have the same problem, so don't feel like it's just you! Most of the when I wave to someone they don't wave back. I was hoping that waving to all of the Jeeps that I see on the road(yes, certain excpetions apply) would persuade them to give a friendly hello. I think one thing is that it depends on where live state-wise as well as big city or small town.

But I have to say as well that I'm tired of watching people drive by after I've waved to them and they don't do anything......

I know that a large majority of jeep owners probably wave and what not, but how come I can't find any of them!!

(stepping off my soap box now)

just a side note... I know that some of y'all said you don't wave to those who don't have their rig built up or look as if they've ever wheeled... but some of us have just started out and/or don't have the money to put into our rigs at this point (i'm speaking about myself at this point). Honestly, if I had 20,000 to burn right now, I would drop ever drop into my baby, but I don't, so it sucks! So maybe a small pity wave every once in a while?? pretty please?? hahaha. please and thank you...
I always wave back! :beer::beer:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I always wave back! :beer::beer:

Thanks man! I appreciate that! Maybe I'll see someone like you on the road one day and they'll wave back! haha.

I have to agree with mcnaught though... I don't like waving to people with low pros... What the heck are you going to do with low pros! I think they find to it be a status symbol or something to them. I have to say I don't mind the chrome really... I wouldn't ever put it on mine, but everyone has their own personal taste... even though I'm alright with a little bit of chrome, there are some that take it WAY over the top.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I (personally) dont choose to aknowledge ANY jeep that...

has a blinding amount of chrome.
has the windows rolled up on a nice day.
is being driven by a hot soccer mom on her cell phone.

BTW- Swinge86. I feel your pain, but part of the whole "it's a jeep thing..." deal is as simple as "You gotta pay to play". I don't ness suport that theory, as I've met and wheeled with some great people in stock jk's, tj's...hell, even a grand cherokee or two...but what I posted at the top of this thread is basically true in most instances that I've found. JMO

·
Registered
336 Posts
I (personally) dont choose to aknowledge ANY jeep that...

has a blinding amount of chrome.
has the windows rolled up on a nice day.
is being driven by a hot soccer mom on her cell phone.

BTW- Swinge86. I feel your pain, but part of the whole "it's a jeep thing..." deal is as simple as "You gotta pay to play". I don't ness suport that theory, as I've met and wheeled with some great people in stock jk's, tj's...hell, even a grand cherokee or two...but what I posted at the top of this thread is basically true in most instances that I've found. JMO

I agree with you on all three. I definitely understand that 'pay to play' deal, but like I said before... no cash. haha. I just finished up school and have been jobless for about 3-4 months. Frigg'n sucks but hopefully soon enough I'll land something and be able to fork the money over to put some serious mods onto my rig. I've always wanted a jeep since I was a little kid, but never realized how much it could burn a hole into your pocket! I'm definitely ready to spend some cash... I've already got a list created for the things that I'd like to buy and have already set them out in order from first to last!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wave to all 4wd vehicles that have proven themselves as not the poser type, And actually wheel their rigs for entertainment...

Those prissy assed, Mall Crawler Jeeps,Hummers,ect get no lovin from me.

If their rig looks like it was in a magazine, And not a scratch on it, The owner is probably a snob anyway, So you might as well wave this...:thefinger:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I dont wave first at anyone I do not know. I will return a wave, though. I guess I am anti social:thefinger:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.