JKOwners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
The best thing about putting a Hemi engine in a Jeep is that you keep your Jeep all Mopar, when you bought your Jeep it must have been OK. We are putting more energy in our Hemi swaps and trying to make them easier to install and make the end user more comfortable, if they have any problems what to do. We now have Bolt in engine mounts, so no more welding. We are getting help from Jeep on our wiring.

Our computers are compatible with HPTuners, so you can tune them. Now you are not suppose to modify our CARB legal computer, because if you do it will change the CVN ("Calibration Verification Number") and the computer will not be legal anymore! It is like this with any computer not just our CARB Legal computer.

We are also working on a new Camaro fan setup for V8 swaps and V6 engines, this is a bolt in system with a new fan shroud. So we are not reusing the Camaro fan shroud.

We are working on making our Hemi swap as easy as pulling the 3.8L and putting the 3.8L back, so no cutting of wires NO special BOX and no confusion of what is what.

To me the Hemi is away simpler way to do a V8 swap.
Is a new functioning cruise control switch on the way yet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
I notice "Liz" deleted "her" threads / posts.
Only other person I know who doesn't know the difference between "threw" and "through".

Kinda lame, jss, but that seems to be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The only CARB Legal V8 swap

To all Jeepers, Happy, Happy New Year!

I was thinking of all the things that happened in 2018 and I think 2018 is the best year yet at Jeep Speed Shop!

Though we’ve had some hard years in the past, 2018 was one of the hardest and at the same time one of the best and most exciting. You know that putting V8 engines in newer Jeeps is always a challenge - mostly to do with “Emissions stuff” – As we have to go through the State of California, to get it street legal.

So in 2018 Jeep Speed Shop took up the challenge to make our Hemi conversion kits CARB legal. Getting our 2007-2011 Jeep JK Wranglers CARB Legal is a BIG Deal and, just to explain how big a deal, there is no other Conversion Company that has ever even come close! After hundreds of hours and too many visits to the California Referee station to remember, I engineered the industry’s first 50-state legal JK HEMI conversion.

What does this means to you, the end user? It means your JK HEMI conversion is certified by the California Air Resources Board – Executive Order D-811, Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code. You/We do not anymore have to spend hours upon hours at the Referee station to have your Jeep certified; Now all you/we need to do! Is go to the smog shop and smog your Jeep.

Getting a HEMI CARB Legal approval is big - and I don’t mind telling you that everybody told me it could not be done. However, Jeep Speed Shop was up to the challenge. And, to make it even more challenging, the emissions testing changed at the end of 2016, so we had to adapt again and change with the new guidelines to keep up with the latest Technology specifications.

We are very proud that we achieved this CARB legal certification in 2018 – more so as we are the only engine conversion shop to achieve this certification. Yes, you can say we keep raising the bar higher and higher to ensure you, our customers, get the Jeep conversion you want - straight forward and factory stock in the application.

I’m so thankful for all of your support and believe 2018 was a turning point in Jeep Speed Shop’s life. We wish all of you a Happy New Year full of joy and many Jeep excursions!

Todd Custer

Jeep Speed Shop

·
Registered
837 Posts
To all Jeepers, Happy, Happy New Year!

I was thinking of all the things that happened in 2018 and I think 2018 is the best year yet at Jeep Speed Shop!

Though we’ve had some hard years in the past, 2018 was one of the hardest and at the same time one of the best and most exciting. You know that putting V8 engines in newer Jeeps is always a challenge - mostly to do with “Emissions stuff” – As we have to go through the State of California, to get it street legal.

So in 2018 Jeep Speed Shop took up the challenge to make our Hemi conversion kits CARB legal. Getting our 2007-2011 Jeep JK Wranglers CARB Legal is a BIG Deal and, just to explain how big a deal, there is no other Conversion Company that has ever even come close! After hundreds of hours and too many visits to the California Referee station to remember, I engineered the industry’s first 50-state legal JK HEMI conversion.

What does this means to you, the end user? It means your JK HEMI conversion is certified by the California Air Resources Board – Executive Order D-811, Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code. You/We do not anymore have to spend hours upon hours at the Referee station to have your Jeep certified; Now all you/we need to do! Is go to the smog shop and smog your Jeep.

Getting a HEMI CARB Legal approval is big - and I don’t mind telling you that everybody told me it could not be done. However, Jeep Speed Shop was up to the challenge. And, to make it even more challenging, the emissions testing changed at the end of 2016, so we had to adapt again and change with the new guidelines to keep up with the latest Technology specifications.

We are very proud that we achieved this CARB legal certification in 2018 – more so as we are the only engine conversion shop to achieve this certification. Yes, you can say we keep raising the bar higher and higher to ensure you, our customers, get the Jeep conversion you want - straight forward and factory stock in the application.

I’m so thankful for all of your support and believe 2018 was a turning point in Jeep Speed Shop’s life. We wish all of you a Happy New Year full of joy and many Jeep excursions!

Todd Custer

Jeep Speed Shop
That’s great news.
Looks like your spell check and grammar check are working better this year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did Liz decide on her engine swap yet?

How's that cruise control switch workin' out?

Happy Kwanzaa.
The cruise control switch didnt work. I notified JSS. Couple weeks later they offered to ship me the only working switch that they tested on a 2011 before Christmas. That meant everyone else would be screwed so I gave them to the new year to figure it out. Shipping says that the new switch arrives on Jan 8. I will let you know then if it is fixed.

Hopefully it is, and hopefully everyone else gets fixed also... If not Dakota Customs has fixed it in their PCM...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The cruise control switch didnt work. I notified JSS. Couple weeks later they offered to ship me the only working switch that they tested on a 2011 before Christmas. That meant everyone else would be screwed so I gave them to the new year to figure it out. Shipping says that the new switch arrives on Jan 8. I will let you know then if it is fixed.

Hopefully it is, and hopefully everyone else gets fixed also... If not Dakota Customs has fixed it in their PCM...

In 2011 when we where building Hemi Jeeps, the thought was to keep the computer more stock and modify the cruise switch, well i know that Dakota Customs does not build their our computers, they have a guy and i know him. I guess i could work on a new program for the 2011 Jeep computer, but it will not be legal in California, because we can not change the CVN number in the computer and that is why i do not build a custom computer. Also we build our own computers here at Jeep Speed Shop.

I just did not want to build the cruise switches anymore, I was trying to have someone do it for me, because i do not have the time anymore and to build the switches is very hard to do. Now the 2012-2018 Jeeps have a box that brakes down the info and not a switch, that goes for everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In 2011 when we where building Hemi Jeeps, the thought was to keep the computer more stock and modify the cruise switch, well i know that Dakota Customs does not build their our computers, they have a guy and i know him. I guess i could work on a new program for the 2011 Jeep computer, but it will not be legal in California, because we can not change the CVN number in the computer and that is why i do not build a custom computer. Also we build our own computers here at Jeep Speed Shop.

I just did not want to build the cruise switches anymore, I was trying to have someone do it for me, because i do not have the time anymore and to build the switches is very hard to do. Now the 2012-2018 Jeeps have a box that brakes down the info and not a switch, that goes for everyone.
I understand that. Had you said that over a year and half/maybe 2yrs ago when I bought the kit. Maybe I would have gone a different route. Something like AEV, or maybe just put a new 3.8L in my Jeep and ran with what I had. This is where we are. I spent a lot of money with your company. I have since spent 2-3 times that resolving other issues with the kit. You have made promises on function that have not worked. Frankly, I am willing to forget about the last 2 years of aggravation for you to simply just keep your promises that you made. I am not here to start a pissing contest. Nobody wins once that starts. I just want my Jeep to work as you promised it would.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Did Liz request cruise control on her engine swap?

Would it be possible to have pictures PM'ed to me of Liz in a string bikini?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I understand that. Had you said that over a year and half/maybe 2yrs ago when I bought the kit. Maybe I would have gone a different route. Something like Motech, or maybe just put a new 3.8L in my Jeep and ran with what I had. This is where we are. I spent a lot of money with your company. I have since spent 2-3 times that resolving other issues with the kit. You have made promises on function that have not worked. Frankly, I am willing to forget about the last 2 years of aggravation for you to simply just keep your promises that you made. I am not here to start a pissing contest. Nobody wins once that starts. I just want my Jeep to work as you promised it would.

Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fixed it for ya.
LOL. When the 3.8L took a crap at 70k miles. I wanted to do a diesel(4bt). There is to little info on what NC would allow me to do when it came to that swap. I then looked into doing an LS and talked to Robbie at Motech. Again, I couldn't get a straight answer on what the NC DMV would allow. The Hemi was my only V8 option that I positively knew would be permitted. This Jeep used to be my daily driver. For first 15mo, I couldn't get it to run without it getting really warm. So, I had to buy a commuter car until I figured it out. For as much as I like the truck motor swap. It is an epic pain in the ass to make it work right because their is no room in the engine bay, and my Mechanical skills are not strong enough to figure some of this stuff out.

I would have loved to have done an LS, saved the weight, saved the heat issues.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.