JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Join us on the JKOwners.com official run on Pritchett Canyon at Easter Jeep Safari!

This invite only JKO run will take place the morning of Wednesday 4/20/11. We will be meeting at the McDonald's parking lot in town. We will be leaving the parking lot at 7:00AM so that we can beat the crowds. This is a difficult trail and is not meant for newbies. If you are afraid of possible damage, you should not sign up. I highly recommend 35" tires or larger, lockers and a winch. If you joined us on our previous runs on Clawhammer or Aftershock at the Hammers, you will have no problem on Pritchett Canyon.

From the Red Rock Four Wheeler's website (the official hosts of EJS)

http://www.rr4w.com said:
This trail has become so difficult that it inspired a new rating a few years ago. Two locking differentials are required, and a winch is urgently requested. Our experience is that fewer than ten percent of the vehicles can make it unaided. Mortality of vehicle parts is very high. There are no easy bypasses.

If you can take your eyes off the obstacles long enough, you'll find a splendidly beautiful, narrow canyon. The trail climbs the lower part of the canyon and exits via a side canyon over a divide into the Hunter Canyon system. Your leader then will choose among several optional routes (depending on how long it took to get there and how many wounded vehicles there are).

We learned years ago that so much time was spent at the obstacles with more than our limit of 25 vehicles that the fun turned into boredom.

Scenery: While in the canyon, the views are of the steep canyon walls, large side-canyon pour-offs, and a pool-speckled creek bottom. Pritchett Arch, Window Arch, and some smaller spans are visible from the trail. The canyon is within the rock fin country of Behind the Rocks, and is the boundary of the Behind the Rocks WSA.

Road Surface: The trail follows the bouldery creek bottom at first but then climbs onto ledge routes on a mixture of rock layers and dirt. The major obstacles are several forms of bedrock now exposed after erosion of the early roadway.

Obstacles: The first real test is a couple of miles up the canyon at the nastily angled ledges of the Rocker Knocker. A little farther, a rock fall area has become a major hazard. Just above that is The Rock Pile, a several-foot ledge that requires a pile of rocks just to get wheels on the slope, while a so-called bypass is almost as difficult and hazardous. Next is Yellow Hill, where the road reaches for the canyon top on a very uneven ledge of multicolored rock.

We will have some awesome JKO Vendors along for the ride and they will be bringing along plenty of free swag for all participants and a lunchtime raffle: Polyperformance, Poison Spyder Customs, Rock Krawler Suspension, Teraflex, JeepAddOns.com, Currie Enterprises have already come on board. We will provide t-shirts for all participants.

This will be a full day on the trail. We will provide a small lunch (hotdogs or sandwiches) so if you want something fancy, bring it yourself. You should also bring your own beverages (no alcohol).

The fun is just beginning once we finish the trail!

The after trail party will be at Woody's Tavern where they will have a section for us.

All participants of the run will receive a wrist band which will get you free drinks until Lance runs out of money! :thefinger:

The run is limited to the first 30 capable vehicles. If you want to sign up, please email Morne (the JKO office manager) at [email protected] the following info:

Your Name:
Your JKO Username:
How many passengers:
Vehicle:
Lockers? Front: Rear:
Winch:
Tires:
Shirt sizes:

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to run Pritchett!

Athough Hit... you might wanna let the LGs know it's not rated a 4 it's rated a 9! :beer: :grinpimp:

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Can't wait to run Pritchett!

Athough Hit... you might wanna let the LGs know it's not rated a 4 it's rated a 9! :beer: :grinpimp:
Yeah I guess they changed the scale.. on the old scale (1-5) it was a 4+ new scale (1-10) its a 9 to 9+.

Anyway you look at it, it is one of the most challenging trails in Moab... Very suiting for a JKO run. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lol, my bad, and no.:.. maybe

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
sweet I'll be there. hopefully we dont get backed up like last year.

·
Registered
691 Posts
One day I'll make it to Moab, one day....

·
Registered
13 Posts
should I opt out?

Was there for the Canyonlands run last year which was a good time.. Thinking my rig might be outclassed for this Pritchett. JK unlimited with 3.5" lift, 35s, rear d44 w/locker, front d30 no locker, full skid kit and sliders, warn 9.5Ti. I'm driving 20 hours from Canada and need to be able to drive back; should I opt out of this trail? Need real advise on this one, not just "yeahhh do it!!"

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Was there for the Canyonlands run last year which was a good time.. Thinking my rig might be outclassed for this Pritchett. JK unlimited with 3.5" lift, 35s, rear d44 w/locker, front d30 no locker, full skid kit and sliders, warn 9.5Ti. I'm driving 20 hours from Canada and need to be able to drive back; should I opt out of this trail? Need real advise on this one, not just "yeahhh do it!!"
If you added an Aussie front locker, you could do it just fine. Without a front locker, you'd be winching over a few things.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here's and overview of Pritchett form last years Red Rock EJS Pritchett run http://www.youtube.com/user/PoisonSpyderTV#p/u/8/jcPdrO4icQ0

A few short clips of some of the obstacles on Pritchett

Rocker Knocker the hard way ;-) http://www.facebook.com/poisonspyder#!/video/video.php?v=1373001359062

Rock Pile
http://www.facebook.com/poisonspyder#!/video/video.php?v=1375578543490

and for those who wanna continue to Behind the Rocks...
White Knuckle
http://www.facebook.com/poisonspyder#!/video/video.php?v=1372128217234

Can't wait for this run!!!!!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts