JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Are you a pipeliner? If so, cool. If not, probably still cool.
I was reading up on what they do in NASCAR. Looks like they use a FF rear with ball splines like you mentioned + some shim. Wonder if j3ff3ry's jeep up there has some exotic IRS setup.
Pipeline welder? No Sir. I did weld in the shipyards for many years before I got into oil field diving. Did the wet and hyperbaric welding thing underwater. Now I just sit on my ass and try to keep the divers from killing themselves. Bastards are pretty determined at times.

That's what I was thinking too.............something IRS.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Are you a pipeliner? If so, cool. If not, probably still cool.
I was reading up on what they do in NASCAR. Looks like they use a FF rear with ball splines like you mentioned + some shim. Wonder if j3ff3ry's jeep up there has some exotic IRS setup.

Cats out of the bag : you detected my cantilevered , tri-jointed ,clockable-offset , adjustable-pitch ,air-controlled balljoints . I could tell you who engineered them but then I'd have to eradicate everyone that read about them due to security concerns.
's'petty high tech stuff tht most consumers aren't ready for...

:grinpimp:

·
Registered
364 Posts
With a little time, money, a welder and a hatred for all that is good and sensible in this world, it could probably be done fairly easily with two "front" axles with customized "Cs".
The important part of this equation to create one of those jeeps, is the hatred for all that is good and sensible in the world.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
It's a big "why" for me. I just don't get it. I'm not into lowriders either, but I appreciate the work involved and can spend time checking them out. Ratrods, same thing.

This "stance" shit, I don't even understand what exactly they're trying to accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
It's a big "why" for me. I just don't get it. I'm not into lowriders either, but I appreciate the work involved and can spend time checking them out. Ratrods, same thing.

This "stance" shit, I don't even understand what exactly they're trying to accomplish.

Maybe camber stance = low-hangin' pants?

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
That's funny. Maybe it's really that simple for the "why". I don't know.

They have got to be just fucking scary to drive though.

ok.

Agreed ; they gotta be scary to drive.

that being said, if you were hypothetically forced into making a choice would you be more scared of driving that slammed, negative cambered Jeep JKU from the first image OR would you be more scared to drive this one for 3 days at Hammertown ; choice is yours. but you gotta pick one and drive it like you think it is awesome ,all around KoH while the race is going on.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
ok.

that being said, if you were hypothetically forced into making a choice would you be more scared of driving that slammed, negative cambered Jeep JKU from the first image OR would you be more scared to drive this one for 3 days at Hammertown ; choice is yours. but you gotta pick one and drive it like you think it is awesome ,all around KoH while the race is going on.

It’s like having to choose between a mermaid or a reverse mermaid.... and then having sex with it.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
ok.

Now if you took that thing on the trail at KOH and beat it like it owed you money then people might not laugh so hard. But seeing as how they blew their whole budget on stupid stuff it wouldn't make it very far so you would get laughed at.

·
Registered
225 Posts
sad reflection...

I agree that what anyone else does to his Jeep doesn't have to affect me or what I do with mine. But I threw-up a little in the back of my throat seeing some of those. :surprise:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Fuck Jeep. I bought a JKUR in late 2009 for $34,000 Canadian. The same thing in a JL is $58,000. I'm no Kowboy, that shit's outta my reach these days.
I have to agree. My '09 JKUR was bought new in April 2009 for $30,500, after "employee pricing" and a $1,500 rebate. Having at that time owned a nicely built '94 YJ for 14 years that I bought used for $13,500 I thought paying $30k+ for a Jeep was insane, but I wasn;t getting any younger. Last weekend I cruised our dealer's lot and there wasn't a single JLUR for under $52k. They had one they'd added the little 2" Mopar lift and 35s to, it was over $59k! What, are you gonna take that thing over to Moab (3 hours from here) and take it out on the rocks? Sorry folks, I'm out of this game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you obviously know nothing about bikers. I've been ridin Harley's for 43 years. Have 4 in the garage. Don't do drugs, never have. Don't have a criminal record. Bought my first Jeep brand new in 1976, when the CJ7 first came out. Got both hard and soft tops, a 304 v8 engine, and a total cost of $6000 new.
Before you start bad mouthing some of the Jeep owners out there, you should talk to a few. Between spending my career drivin big rigs all over the east coast and Canada, and having back problems, at 69 years old I still get around. But my present Jeep doesn't get off road very often. But I enjoy riding it < and yes, it has a 3" lift and 35's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you obviously know nothing about bikers. I've been ridin Harley's for 43 years. Have 4 in the garage. Don't do drugs, never have. Don't have a criminal record. Bought my first Jeep brand new in 1976, when the CJ7 first came out. Got both hard and soft tops, a 304 v8 engine, and a total cost of $6000 new.
Before you start bad mouthing some of the Jeep owners out there, you should talk to a few. Between spending my career drivin big rigs all over the east coast and Canada, and having back problems, at 69 years old I still get around. But my present Jeep doesn't get off road very often. But I enjoy riding it < and yes, it has a 3" lift and 35's.

Jeep are like Harleys. You have real bikers that smell bad and sell drugs, and you have all the rest. All the rest is probably the bigger number. Jeeps are no different.

It just is what it is. Same can be said for Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, you name it.

The only group that has stayed cool........is motocross riders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeep are like Harleys. You have real bikers that smell bad and sell drugs, and you have all the rest. All the rest is probably the bigger number. Jeeps are no different.

It just is what it is. Same can be said for Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, you name it.

The only group that has stayed cool........is motocross riders.
guess I need to figure out how to do this quote thingy

41 - 60 of 108 Posts