JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
The coffee shop girl told me she wants to get a Jeep and "put a stance on it".
The sandwich shop girl told me she wants to get a Jeep "with a 6-inch lift and 22's".

I just smile and nod because I know upside down they all look alike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I believe the fancy D80 was developed for the racin' buggy crowd. I know the one under the ass of my truck ain't got nothin' to do with a JK.
Actually I’m pretty sure the Dana 80 axle was originally designed for use in dually trucks dating back to about 1988

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
You gotta be informed on things like this before you speak up in here.

Right, @Mason?

Take , for example, the fact that experience tells me that the 4 door JL pictured above DEFINITELY has to have a D80 under it's butt...
I mean, how else could it be weighed-down so much that its rockers are almost dragging the mall parking lot?

Knowledge eet ees power!

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Actually I’m pretty sure the Dana 80 axle was originally designed for use in dually trucks dating back to about 1988
Agreed. But I was assumin' the "fancy D80" I was accused of havin' refers to DynaTrac's ProRock80 which I thought was designed for the buggy crowd but Kevin don't seem to think so.

So maybe I do indeed owe the origins of my fancy D80 axles on both my rigs to the JKU.

Still wouldn't own a JKU and still think they're ugly. :thefinger:

On a side note ...

Workin' on diggin' out a Navy turnin' basin in Jacksonville, FL these days. LOTS of JKU's 'round here. Beautiful sunny day yesterday and lots of them JKU's were goin' topless. Saw my favorite configuration of a JKU for a good laugh but couldn't get my phone out quick enough to snap a pick. Cracks me up when the top is completely off, front doors are off, ... and the back doors are still on. (see Kevin's post above for pic of drivers)

Like they say in the Navy ... "It ain't gay if the ship's underway."

·
Registered
288 Posts
Right, @Mason?

Take , for example, the fact that experience tells me that the 4 door JL pictured above DEFINITELY has to have a D80 under it's butt...
I mean, how else could it be weighed-down so much that its rockers are almost dragging the mall parking lot?

Knowledge eet ees power!

:smokin:
A real Jeeper would only wonder how in the hell they got that much negative camber on a solid axle.... >:)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Four in ten of the JKU's around here are sittin' on 20's (Deeps) , rubberband sidewalls , ya just have to laugh .
Every Bolt-on and goo-gaww that is available is thrown at it as well as big ass light bars in matching colors , China is making a killing on these people here .
Mostly what is seen here are the Soccer Moms getting the kidos to school , those Jeeps are the future of the cut-them-up and use them in the future .
Rarely will you see a rig that is what I would consider "capable" , there are a few but just a few .

Those that like that sort of Jeep , more power to them , it's their Jeep , do what ya want , just not for me .

Way-Of Gay banners and stickers are all over them too , just put that out there to give ya an idea of the mentality .

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Couple passes down the center of the axle tube with a 1/4" 60xx rod ought to do it. :thefinger:
We used to call those baseball bats.

I guess a mail jeep front axle would let you get the camber. Doesn't have shafts in it.

The rear though is a differen't story. I know some forms of racing use special drive plates and ball splined axle shafts, but they don't get that kind of camber. they're shooting for 2*'s max.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
We used to call those baseball bats.

I guess a mail jeep front axle would let you get the camber. Doesn't have shafts in it.

The rear though is a differen't story. I know some forms of racing use special drive plates and ball splined axle shafts, but they don't get that kind of camber. they're shooting for 2*'s max.
Are you a pipeliner? If so, cool. If not, probably still cool.
I was reading up on what they do in NASCAR. Looks like they use a FF rear with ball splines like you mentioned + some shim. Wonder if j3ff3ry's jeep up there has some exotic IRS setup.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Are you a pipeliner? If so, cool. If not, probably still cool.
I was reading up on what they do in NASCAR. Looks like they use a FF rear with ball splines like you mentioned + some shim. Wonder if j3ff3ry's jeep up there has some exotic IRS setup .
With a little time, money, a welder and a hatred for all that is good and sensible in this world, it could probably be done fairly easily with two "front" axles with customized "Cs".

21 - 40 of 108 Posts