JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. So I am a first time Jeep owner, Just need to know the MUST HAVES or MUST DO's. Basic starter mods or things I must change, anything to watch out for and what not. If this needs to be posted somewhere else or attached to another thread then my bad. But anyways, here is the new rig. 2007 "X" 2 door w/ towing package. 6 speed. Bone stock as far as I know. All i have done so far is put some used knobby tires on it until i can get some more. Didnt have it for 2 days and i had it stuck..

·
Coonasian
1,833 Posts
If you wheel much, do a search for "transfer case shift cable", the stock arrangement is very weak and left a few of us in a bind. In your search, you will get several suggestions to improve the stock situation. Nice JK! Have fun! :beer:

·
Registered
915 Posts
^^^ What TCDawg and Charlie both said......read first...read ALOT before you start signing your paycheck over.

That being said....Do yourself a favor and either modify or replace the shifter cable as Charlie mentioned....you'll avoid a real PITA situation if you plan on spending any/much time in 4WD.

Welcome to JKO and welcome to being a Jeephead. :beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you wheel much, do a search for "transfer case shift cable", the stock arrangement is very weak and left a few of us in a bind. In your search, you will get several suggestions to improve the stock situation. Nice JK! Have fun! :beer:
^^^ What TCDawg and Charlie both said......read first...read ALOT before you start signing your paycheck over.

That being said....Do yourself a favor and either modify or replace the shifter cable as Charlie mentioned....you'll avoid a real PITA situation if you plan on spending any/much time in 4WD.

Welcome to JKO and welcome to being a Jeephead. :beer:
Great Info guys! Thats the kinda stuff Im lookin for, just someone to point me in the right direction. I def plan on wheelin. I havent owned a 4x4 since i was 16, 1989 Bronco. I have missed it alot and def have some wheelin to catch up on!

·
Comfortably Numb
12,269 Posts
you don't have the tires to do what you did. you appear to have gone by yourself (no other vehicles) big neaux, neaux in the offroad world. Chawlie ain't lying. Read, Read. Read. and of course drink lots of beer. Welcome to JKO :beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you don't have the tires to do what you did. you appear to have gone by yourself (no other vehicles) big neaux, neaux in the offroad world. Chawlie ain't lying. Read, Read. Read. and of course drink lots of beer. Welcome to JKO :beer:
Thats the truth about the tires. I didnt expect it to be that bad and the intent was to keep moving, however..... I was jacking around with low range shortly before this, so when i shifted out of low back into 4hi the esp kicked back in.. as soon as i hit the mud it shut me down. by the time i realized what was going on and hit the button it was too late.. SUNK! but oh well. i learned.. and i got new tires..lol luckily i was right behind my house in a "dry" stock tank and I had a buddy with a 4x4 on call. i was out in no time.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
Yep, don't ever go out alone unless you're well prepared. There are threads on here about items and tools to carry. Get a good gear bag and stock up on those items. Even then, I don't advise it.

Read, read, read. There are sooo many good threads here and so many knowledgeable people to consult.

Enjoy your rig!:beer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Learn how to drive it. The greatest mod you can do is a driver mod. I've seen a lot of guys (including me) that start modding offroad rigs and never really learn the basics of offroading. There is a certain art and science to going offroad.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Learn how to drive it. The greatest mod you can do is a driver mod. I've seen a lot of guys (including me) that start modding offroad rigs and never really learn the basics of offroading. There is a certain art and science to going offroad.
Probably the best way to learn is to wheel it stock a few times. That will let you know what you need really quick and then you can choose a direction for your build from there. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I've wheeld more stock than I have since I got my lift & tires. Found out real quick that my JKU was bound to get hung up on anything and everything it could find. Gave my belly skids a nice work out.

Also, wheelspin is the enemy. Wheelspin is usually a direct result of too much skinny pedal.

The fact that you took it out within the first couple of days says a lot. So good on ya'! :beer:

And welcome to the other side of the trax!

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
a set of sway bar disconnects would be a good start if you wanna play in the rocks.
It's amazing how much flex a stock JK has out of the box with just a disco.

In the mean time, get a couple of 18mm wrenches to carry with you and get good at pulling the lower bolts on the links ;)

If you ever make it out west to the Abilene area, give me a shout!

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
If you wheel it, it will break.

~SoCo
I don't quite agree with that, the driver breaks the vehicle. I've seen more people break their rigs from just being stupid more than it actually "finding the limits" of the components. Too much skinny pedal, poor spotters watching poor drivers, sharp turns and lots of wheel spin.

The worst of my adventures included a popped bead, torn off door surround and a broken tail light. Certainly there are some obstacles I have left on the table, but that's what gets me home and to work the next morning. Knowing what the rig can do safely and how you can get it there is key for keeping your rig being able to go home. Most would say that since I haven't broken anything, I haven't wheeled hard enough. Which can be the case, but for many around here...if you aren't breaking shit, you aren't trying to hard enough....which isn't how I do business.

I've definitely bit off more than I could chew, but good spotting and not being afraid/too proud to pull cable keeps the rig in one piece. I don't claim to be a very good driver or the best spotter, but what I manage to do works for me.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
You need a stinger :laughing:
This is some great advice. I'm still learning, only been out a few times and so far the Jeep is quite capable with just a set of KM2s and Safari Straps grab handles :grinpimp:.

Take your time, find some local experienced wheelers to ride with and enjoy the Jeep.:beer::beer::beer:

The JKO group has created a very comprehensive list of what you need. Check it out.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6754
good stuff here.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I don't quite agree with that
That was a simplified version for someone new to it. I could have probably worded it better to say, "Ease in to it and figure it out the right way so you don't break it."

It's just settles in quicker to make them think about it before they actually do break it. If he got it stuck already, then it's important to make him think about it because he's already out there hammering on it.

~SoCo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.