JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bumping this to the top!
We are averaging about 7 entries per week.
This means that we should have a winner just in time for the second week of November.

What can you do with $100? Well, first let's look at the impractical stuff:
  • Buy 33% of an angry bird grill
  • Buy a bunch of rubber ducks
  • Buy .00000000000000000000000000416589642437865698723456472806520478650284620894856732 Bitcoin

And now, the practical stuff:
  • Fill up your JK anywhere other than California
  • Oil + oil filter + air filter
  • Thanksgiving dinner for 4

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Bumping this to the top!
We are averaging about 7 entries per week.
This means that we should have a winner just in time for the second week of November.

What can you do with $100? Well, first let's look at the impractical stuff:
  • Buy 33% of an angry bird grill
Ah ha! You've been pricing them.

·
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire
112 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

This is shortly after I bought it in March of 2012. The intention was to have a vehicle that could get the family into some of the less accessible and/or remote areas of our state. The dream was short lived however after a few trips out. We discovered my wife was an extremely nervous off roader to the point of not enjoying it at all (which means I couldn't enjoy it either😂). It stayed stock for the first 6 months or so while I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with it.

To be continued tomorrow.......

·
112 Posts
Hahaha! Don't you worry your pretty head about that my porcine friend! They will definitely be included in this epic tale of my meh mallcrawler complete with pictures of said life size companion doll🤣

·
112 Posts
In my 6 months of trying to decide if I was keeping the jeep and suffering the commute penalty of daily driving it or getting something faster or with better mpg, the bug to mod my vehicles bit. It wasn't much to start with (still really isn't compared to what a lot of you guys/gals do) but it had to be something reversible if I was going to trade it in so...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Plastidip....
It satisfied my need to change something, at least for a little bit, and could be changed back easily if I decided it wasn't staying.

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to hear my bs and see all the mundane shit I've done to my run of the mill crap box...and I'll feed you baby birds....tomorrow in the ongoing saga that leads up to the jeep getting an awesome gift and how it caused me to STILL get uneasy glances from our UPS guy to this day.

Until tomorrow friends....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
In my 6 months of trying to decide if I was keeping the jeep and suffering the commute penalty of daily driving it or getting something faster or with better mpg, the bug to mod my vehicles bit. It wasn't much to start with (still really isn't compared to what a lot of you guys/gals do) but it had to be something reversible if I was going to trade it in so...
View attachment 367071

Plastidip....
It satisfied my need to change something, at least for a little bit, and could be changed back easily if I decided it wasn't staying.

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to hear my bs and see all the mundane shit I've done to my run of the mill crap box...and I'll feed you baby birds....tomorrow in the ongoing saga that leads up to the jeep getting an awesome gift and how it caused me to STILL get uneasy glances from our UPS guy to this day.

Until tomorrow friends....
[/QUOTE
Your mod is not mundane nor a run of the mill crap box! I applaud you for your bravery to share! As a Jeeper I encourage authenticity and uniqueness and being that person who lives outside the box, an outlier who dares to be different! Jeep is about adventure, enthusiasm, authenticity, and passion! We should all encourage that as Jeepers whether the serious badass off road adventurer or brave blinger mall crawler and all those in between. I look forward to what more you have to share

BTW .. a lady stopped me at the gas station the other day. She is a former Compass owner. She said her biggest mistake in life was trading in her Jeep an told me to never trade mine in. A COMPASS OWNER!

I am genuinely on the edge of my seat! You might share something I never thought of

·
112 Posts
I ultimately decided that I loved the jeep, even if it wasn't going to be used for a ton of offroading. Since that decision was out of the way it was time to start making it something that was mine. I'd never been a fan of black wheels, but I'd also never owned a light colored vehicle before either. The plastidip with the oem wheels on a white jeep just looked good to me and so the search began to find something as close to that look as I could. Being on a budget I had to make sure I future proofed my wheels (or so I thought at the time) for when I was done daily driving it and ready for bigger tires. I read SO MANY threads on jko about backspacing and tire size and...and..and... I knew I needed at least 4.5" backspacing as a start and I really wanted to stay as close to the factory moabs as possible. I eventually found a brodozer oriented wheel company that made a moab with 4.5" backspacing in a 17x9. So I ordered 5 at a ridiculous price per wheel but I for some reason had to have the look. I also ordered a teraflex puck kit and 5 duratracs in 285/70/17s. Remember I said daily driver? My reasoning was I wasn't really going much bigger than stock and the mpg penalty should be minimal😂. I'm too lazy to hunt down the pictures from back then on whatever old computer they are on, but here is one showing it in that state along with the kids jeeps.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Yeah, the jeep bug got the kids too.
Took it out 2 months after putting the new wheels on with a local 4x4 club and rock rashed all 4 wheels and idaho pinstriped the whole jeep, and for the first time in all my vehicle ownership, I didn't care. The wife still hated going offroad so I was resigned to mostly to mudding in the bottom of our local reservoir after the water draw down....you can see how well that worked out for me.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Until tomorrow....

·
112 Posts
Took the weekend off posting to try and get myself back into a normal time for my 24 hour submission gap:thefinger:

I was pretty happy with the leveling kit and duratracs so I drove it like that for a few years. I previously mentioned that I didn't get to offroad much(wife hated it and around here there aren't many offerings for "trails" unless you want to go smash your junk on rocks or count dirt roads as trails) so armour wasn't high on my priority list. That being said, I always hated the crappy plastic bumpers. I had resigned myself to the fact that I'd probably just have to keep them and swap them out for take offs if they got too beat up. Flipping through threads on jko at work one day I happened to pop into the free section and the top post made my little heart flutter. A Mopar steel rear bumper! I know most people don't like them but for me it was exactly what I wanted. With trembling hands I typed out a reply. I think the user name was nose, or schnoz, or beak or something like that :thefinger: a short time later and this showed up at work:
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

If anybody knows the user I was talking about, I owe him a steak dinner and beers if he ever makes it through ideeho.😁 Super cool dude.
Tire Sky Wheel Plant Vehicle

The last pic is a time jump because I couldn't find one in chronological order on my phone. Deal with it 😁. Somewhere along the lines I read on here the '08 didn't have a provision for the factory tow hook on the driver's side but mine did. I eventually resorted to poking holes in the passenger side frame so I could have TWO fancy red hooks.

And that is where we will leave this story for today. Tune in next time to find out what's in the box.

·
112 Posts
Within a short time of the rear bumper being posted the front got posted too. So of course I was all over it. Life has a way of getting crazy and this overly generous gentleman got dealt a busy and also shitty hand....and rather than being a douche canoe and adding to it by pestering about free shit, I just let it ride. Time passed and I got distracted with other things as I often do. A surprise bonus at work along with the ok to spend it on the jeep lead to an order for a lift just as we headed into winter, which meant 6 months of staring at those boxes waiting for nicer weather to install. 6 months turned into almost 10..but eventually the schedule opened up and it was time to finally make it look like it skipped leg day.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Around the same time, the front bumper popped back into my head and I reached out to see if it was still available.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread
Handwriting Font Wood Writing Paint

This showed up on my porch a short time later.
I can't thank @snout enough for his generosity:thefinger::LOL: as I mentioned before, our UPS guy still acts really uneasy around me.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Tread Asphalt

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

It's no "companion doll" but still beats a kick in the nuts😁.
I'm all out of picture attachments for this post, so we will leave this story here for now.... next time we will continue the saga of converting my 08 into a full on sticker edition.
Until next time....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hey Ladies!!! Let's See Those Jeeps!!! I can't be the only Jeep Girl here!

Besides taking one off-road class as my introduction to off-roading, my first experience on the trails was at the Women's Wheeling Day Off-Road Event in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek Off Road Park in 2014. It was an amazing experience wheeling the trails with like minded women who turned out to be some of my greatest friends. I attended six of these events when I lived on the East Coast.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Cloud

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Cloud

So this isn't my Jeep but I got lucky enough and won a chance to wheel the Clayton Off Road Jeep the second year. This secured my need to go bigger!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Automotive tire

·
112 Posts
All my sharp eyed web sleuths may have caught the topic of today's post by playing a game of what's different in the pictures from my previous post entry.... I had put up with the factory hood decals delaminating pretty much since day one with my jeep. On purchase day the leg of the R on the driver's side decided it was done and came off going down the highway. Naturally I couldn't be rolling around with "Pubicon" on the hood so off came the R. It rolled around through the years with various different letters coming off and ultimately ended with ICON on the driver's side and RU ON for the passenger.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire

I decided that a blank hood was better than that garbage.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

Since I had access to a vinyl plotter from our business I decided I'd just make my own, but very similarly to a mechanic, I never wanted to cut them after doing it for work all day.
I eventually quit being lazy and got them made. The vinyl was better quality so hopefully it'll last longer than the 4 ish years the factory stickers did.

Tire Font Wheel Line Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Sky
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Sky

And with that change I basically had a 2008 sticker edition "Hard Rock" sans the most functional part (the vented hood). Years before I had debadged the grill, but I decided to throw the pic in here since I was doing "pretty" instead of functional
Hand Grille Window Vehicle Automotive lighting

And with that we are almost done with this journey. There are only a couple of other things that I've done to it in the past 10 years of owning it and I'm not sure I even have pictures.
Until next time....

21 - 40 of 94 Posts