JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 19, 2008. AJE is having an open run in Bastrop. The place is not hard core, but its not just breezy easy either. I like to think of it as technically relaxing.

The place is mainly technical with tight sqeezes through trees, off camber situations and hills. No rocks, just durt (yes I know I misspelled that) and trees, but a good time.

Its a good place for built rigs or stock vehicles. anyhoos, heres the information from the AJE web site:

http://austinjeepclub.proboards46.com/

"This will be out at Rusty's Walnut Ranch. For those of you not familiar with the Ranch, it is fairly technical with some extreme off-camber obstacles, and a few hills that eat Jeeps. This is NOT limited to members so invite everyone you like (heck invite those you don't. . .). This is a weekend of play so, no full blown event with Raffles, Tents or a Ring Master.

Saturday morning. we'll be meeting at the "usual place" - the Shamrock station in Cedar Creek - before 8am. . . The meetin place is at 535 and Hwy 21 in Cedar Creek (near Bastrop) The actual location is: 394 Pleasant Chapel Rd, Cedar Creek, TX 78612-3532 (If you MapQuest, that address, and look a little northwest, you'll see the meeting place).

Fee $30 for Sat, Sat Night Run, and Sunday. "

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check this thread prior to heading out to Bastrop on Saturday. It appears that our club officers have cancelled the run due to what they believe is lack of interest (which is possible). So in other words the run likley won't happen. We are in the process of getting together the 10 rig minimum and if we can do that, its possible we can get the run back on.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
This is BS...Joe was goin+ you + me + Ray + Glenn + ( I thought) 2 or 3 more, but not enough? What happens if #10 has a problem on the way there...then we ALL go home??? Does Rusty want people to sign the waiver in blood? Sorry k, just venting cause I really wanted to get this run going...thought it would be a blast. I know this isnt yer baby, so again sorry. It seems like a catch 22. Without absolute confirmation (on both sides of the fence) it makes it hard for anybody to give the thumbs up. I'm sorry but i really think that Rusty should say its a go no matter what...Worse case senario...no one shows up...then close the gate and be done. Makes it hard for anyone to give definate OK, if its on again off again...sucks...BTW- Joe will be in town Tuesday to give me a hand w/ some align/ adjust issues...Stop by if ya have time and see his big red thing in the drive...(Man that doesnt sound right). Thanks for letting me rant...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Its a beautiful, fun and challenging ranch...I believe about 750 acres...not huge but it has lots of trees, steep ascents, some pretty gnarly off camber stuff that will really flex most rigs. It winds thru plenty of creek beds (not much water in em now). I guess that there is a 10 rig minimum. Ranch is owned/ operated by a super nice old farmer named Rusty (he doesnt wheel) but the runs are organized by a club out of Austin, and a guy that I just cant figure out anymore. It seems like the minimum rig thing is more a decision of the club organizer(s) than the ranch owner (although ive heard that its the other way round). Its worth a couple hours of drive time to get there, but this is the stas quo: on/ off/ on/ maybe...no, off. The owner practically begged us to "come back soon", the last time i was there...so i dont think that it is HIS time or $$$ that is the concern. I think that the club organizer doesnt like to waste HIS time if he's not takin a signifigant cut of the proceeds by assuring himself of at least 10 rigs. I may be waaay off here as this is JUST MY OPINION, but if theres any truth to this...it really is NO way to organize an "open" run. I'm tired of the runaround and hesitant to ever ask others to attend. I only know of one other Texas venue that has done that and i believe that even they were willing to bend the rules and open for just several rigs. Sign me..."ready to wipe my hands until leadership and commitment is restored"...OH SH*T...you just wanted some pictures...Ill take my little blue pill and post a couple if ive got em...lol

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe and I have expressed our concern and are trying to set something up with the club officers to see if there is something we can do to get more control of the situation and make things run a little smoother (from the Bastrop side of things)...Will let you know if anything comes out of it. I'm a little pissed too, because I was wanting to take my daughter out there b4 she had to go back to NC :shaking:

Here are a few photos from an event last November, sorry there aren't more and they aren't better

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/kerryp/AJE Event 11-10-07/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts