JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - been wrestling with a tire decision for my 2008 Unlimited. Is anybody running the Nitto Terra Grappler in 285/75-17, Load Range E? Is the ride too stiff because of the E Rating?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Load E's are definitely heavy when it comes to putting them on a JK. Many run them, but they will ride noticeably firmer than the common D's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks J5. The Terra Grappler 285/75-17 is exactly the right size for what I'm trying to do, but I have been worried about the stiff Load Range E, since my favorite place to wheel is the rocky jeep trails of Colorado.

Are yours this same size, and what air pressure do you run in them?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I've got E rated on my JK and it rides fine.
Have you had load range D as a comparison. I have the D's on a 4 door and would not go E especially in that size tire. How much does your rig weigh? That's the ultimate question that both of these guys need to answer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks J5. The Terra Grappler 285/75-17 is exactly the right size for what I'm trying to do, but I have been worried about the stiff Load Range E, since my favorite place to wheel is the rocky jeep trails of Colorado.

Are yours this same size, and what air pressure do you run in them?

Thanks,
IIRC 28-30 PSI. Air them so a business card will barely slide under from the side (tire sits flat on pavement). I've got their sister tire the Toyo MT. 35x12.5x17

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you had load range D as a comparison. I have the D's on a 4 door and would not go E especially in that size tire. How much does your rig weigh? That's the ultimate question that both of these guys need to answer.
I've had tons of load range D's on my YJ. Yokohama Geolanders, MTR's. BFG AT's. I've put over 150k on that YJ with 35's on it. Does that count? I've got 20k on my MT's on my '11 JK. It's a light JK btw. My YJ with all it's steel armor, 5.7 chevy motor, NV4500, etc. and loaded with spare parts and tools came in around 5000 lbs IIRC (close to 50/50). I think my JK with all aluminum armor and a 5.7 hemi weighs less. I would bet money on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts