JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Teraflex rear carrier with 3rd brake light in stock location!

Who has the best prices on the complete rear teraflex kit for the JK tailgate?

(Amazon has won so far on everything else.... :( )

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It doesn't look like Amazon sells it, just third party sellers one of which happens to be a vendor on JKO.

Picking up the phone or sending an e-mail often works wonders when dealing with vendors as many will work with you within reason if they're still making money on it.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Marcus at River CIty Offroad has good pricing on it. I haven't bit the bullet yet, though.

And his customer service has been great on the other things I have purchased from him.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I'd really like one of those so I could lose the old style Teraflex swing out carrier, however they're not offering a 5x5.5" tire carrier.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Did they ever get around to fixing the "breaking" problem with these?

Or has it been left up to the end user to gusset bracket?

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts

They did update the weak point. I've had a 37" MTZ hanging on my TF carrier for about a year now without any issues. It gets taken down rough roads quite often and at speed. The road out to my father in law's place is about two miles of washboard and we run it at around 50 - 55 MPH. No sign of weakness yet!

The Jeep has also been banged around quite a bit in the rocks in the last few months and we haven't seen any issues. I check it religiously and am running this carrier because I love to open the tail gate more than any other door. LOL

Marcus

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Joe here at TeraFlex is still running the original version with a 37" spare and has yet to have any failures with it. If your spare jiggles then you need to move the plate in another 1/4" to snug that spare against the carrier. However any customers that are concerned about theirs, just need to contact TeraFlex for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Glad to hear no more issues, I don't use it as I have bumper swing arm style but should I ever change rear bumpers I will try this out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like mine a lot......one of the best mods i've done.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Let me see, $729 for a tire carrier or $885 for an ACE Engineering bumper with tire carrier swing gate that works with the tailgate. No brainer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the ACE rear bumper and tire carrier, but when you add the weight savings you get with the Teraflex carrier over a steel bumper/carrier they both have their own spot in the market. I've gotta keep my build light, so Teraflex or Genright is the way I'm leaning...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I want to use the complete teraflex kit, how do I keep a third brake light in the stock location??? Does Tera make something?

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
^^The TF kit calls for relocating the OEM third brake light to a plate that bolts through the two remaining bolt holes in the spare wheel. This same plate serves as a License tag relocation plate as well, if you want to go that route. TF also has this: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-3rd-brake-light-adjustable-extension-bracket.html, but as I recall, it is not compatible with the HD Hinge/Adj. Tire Carrier setup. See my build thread (link in sig) for my solution. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had mine on since last DEC, carrying a 37" spare on OEM MOABs... had to get creative with the wheel mount, but I like it lots.

Now I need to buy the highlift mount as I have one of the xtra tall highlifts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^The TF kit calls for relocating the OEM third brake light to a plate that bolts through the two remaining bolt holes in the spare wheel. This same plate serves as a License tag relocation plate as well, if you want to go that route. TF also has this: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-3rd-brake-light-adjustable-extension-bracket.html, but as I recall, it is not compatible with the HD Hinge/Adj. Tire Carrier setup. See my build thread (link in sig) for my solution. :D
That is what I want to do.

Wow. Makes no sense it would not work with their hinge/carrier. If that's true somebody has dropped the ball. PM sent to Teraflex.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
That is what I want to do.

Wow. Makes no sense it would not work with their hinge/carrier. If that's true somebody has dropped the ball. PM sent to Teraflex.
Just an educated guess on this, but it appears that the upright is too thick and will interfere with the tire sidewall as it is located by the HD adjustable mount. Now if it had a dog leg in it . . . In fact, I can't even locate a FireStick on the carrier mounting bolts without tire interference. I did it for the Jeep Jamboree in Moab, but the antenna was leaning forward probably 10-15* because of the tire. I have been basically pretty pleased with the TF setup, but locating accessories has been a big frustration. There's just nowhere to do it. And I'm not gonna bolt everything to my jack! :rolleyes: But I digress . . .

Too thick.

No good solution.

I feel your pain.

My solution works for me. YMMV.

Oh, and could someone post some pics of the "revised" design? Not sure which one I have, but I too have had a 37 on mine for around a year now with zero issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

From teraflexs site. Says it works with the swing out carrier. Surely that's the HD hinge and carrier right?

http://http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-3rd-brake-light-adjustable-extension-bracket.html#second
Details

This unique bracket solves many of the traditional problems that JK owners face when adding an aftermarket bumper, larger spare tire, spare tire carrier, and CB antenna. The brake light extension is completely adjustable in 1" increments to complement tires up to 38". An integrated CB antenna mount eliminates the need for additional bracketry. The extension bracket bolts to the factory spare tire mounting holes on the tailgate, and uses the factory wiring and light. Fits all JK Wranglers including Rubicon and Unlimited. Note: Stock brake light is not included, and must be re-used from the factory mounting bracket. Designed to fit the TeraFlex swing out spare tire carrier. Clearance may need to be checked on other swing out tire carriers before installation. Does not work with Warn tire carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
^^^ From the bolt hole locations that looks like it would just bolt up to the stock location right under the carrier. The kit does come with a brake light bracket though, it puts the brake light in the middle of the spare.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts