JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know if you can tell by the photos....I can't tell by the instructions where some washers, bolt orientations etc are supposed to be.

I also reused a factory swaybar bolt instead of using the supplied Teraflex bolt as is seemed too short...there was not enough thread (none) left after tightening the bolt. That is one of the reasons I am wondering if these are correct.

I also destroyed a couple grease fittings...not sure how? Maybe my gun has the wrong tip or something, but I just pushed on, injected grease, and when I pulled it off, the tips kept breaking off. Have to easy-out them out and get new ones installed I guess (what a PITA!)

Grant

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look fine but your axle is off center
How can you tell? Is it from the angle of the swaybar in the picture? I looked at both sides (once both sides were done), and both swaybar links are at the same outward angle when the vehicle is on it's tires. Tires are centered when compared to the fenders etc as well.

That photo was taken with only 1 side completed and things all jacked up so it may not be a good representation of where it really is sitting. I'll do some more measurements tonight when I do the rear axle...

Grant

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Pull those off and spin them 180, so the end of the links are bound so bad.
Ditto, you have them exactly backwards. Look at them closely and you'll see that the ends are slightly offset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am no expert in this department, but.....

seems to me your sway bar links are too short, as your sway bar should be nearly if not level to the ground. Looks like your sway bar is angled down about 20 - 30 degrees.

if your sway bar was level your links would not be / \ so much, which is what really does not look right in the pictures

Also they do seem to be on upside down, so flip them 180 end to end and you may also need to rotate them current outside to the inside.

doesn't look right at all to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all for the advice/comments/suggestions....

I turned them around (duh...I didn't even notice they had an offset) and they are now sitting straighter where the bushings are...though they both still have slight / \ angle....equal on both left and right sides....

Couple questions....do they have a top/bottom end? i.e. are the ends different? Marmot_mb mentioned flipping them...did I do 0 for 4 and get them wrong in every possible orientation?

Also...(see yellow circle)...I tried a quick test ride with sways pinned up in their holders, but got a rub during a light flex (stock rims/tires)...I think these bolts are the culprits...but they don't fit the other way around. I'll try the Teraflex bolts again...but they seemed too short. Comments?

See the red arrows....are these the correct locations for the washers?

Thanks in advance again all...

Grant

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found a thread on another forum where someone else had the same problem as me...the Teraflex supplied hardware was not long enough to go through the bushing, washers, and track bar, and leave any threads after being bolted up.

He used the stock bolts (like I did in the above picture), but he tore out the sidewall on a tire from the bolt sticking out (circled above). I think I will go buy some slightly longer bolts, or just grind them down a bit.

If you turn the bolt around, it is too long on the other side to pull up to the "park" location.

Grant

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the similar problem with the length of bolts and putting the links into the discoed position.
I just cut a few threads off shortening the bolt, still leaving plenty of threads showing.
Not a big deal to do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try turning the top bolt around so the nut end is on the inside. That's the way mine is anyway and I don't have any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the bolts out last night, but like mentioned, if you flip them around, they will not allow you to put the sways up in the "park" position bracket at the body mount.

So, took out the cordless saw...zipped off a 1/2" of thread on each one, and flipped them around...

All seems good. Going to test run with the swaybars disconnected tonight a bit.

G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts