JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a JK that came without a spare. I'm going with the Havoc AfterShock rear bumper, and was thinking that if I chose to get a spare down the road to match the other 4 wheels/tires, I might have to get another bumper w/tire carrier....that is, unless the TF HD can handle a 40x15.50 tire. Thoughts? Has anyone attempted it? I believe that "advertised" its rated for a max 37" tire, but I figured I ask ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't put anymore than what they advertised... seen them cracked with a 35 on...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I wouldn't put anymore than what they advertised... seen them cracked with a 35 on...
I saw pics on the internet of some cracks. Looked more like someone backed into a wall with the spare than fatigue.
Set it up right and 112 pounds of 37 work just fine at least for a couple years. (Only had mine since 2014 or so) The new ones all have added gussets anyway.
That said, there are others now that are similar for slightly less $.
Like unlimidozer below notes: a 37 is a tight fit bumper wise. I have a 5" c-channel bumper along the cross member. I had to notch it to match the cross member to make it fit. A 40 might not get there.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Been running one with a 37 since mid 2012. No issues whatsoever. The early design had some fatigue issues, but they added a gusset and solved that.

Asking if you can run a 40 on a carrier designed for a 37 is like asking if you can run your engine designed to have 6 qts of oil on 4 qts. Yes, but not as long as you could if you used it like it was designed, and potentially not without damaging something else in the process. Always better to stick to the design parameters.

Also, depending on the bumper you have, you may not be able to get a 40 high enough to clear. My37 is in the highest set of holes and just has about an inch between the tire and my Poison Spyder Brawler copy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts