JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new Teraflex hinged carrier and the adjustable tire mount.

The instructions had me adjust the tire until it was touching the carrier, I assume to prevent vibrations.

However, in doing so, my 37" MTR is touching the door handle such that you cannot open it right-handed. You cannot curl your hand around the handle to press the button with your thumb.

Anybody else have this issue? Can I just crank the tire out a bit and let it hover, without bracing against the carrier frame? Maybe a spacer/bump attached to the frame to brace against?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have the same setup and had to go look to see what you were referring to. Since my MTR/Ks are about 1/2 worn the issue isn't that noticeable. I wouldn't let the wheel/tire float as you suggest, the tire mount needs to be braced by having the sidewall apply a bit of preload.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Like SOK says, don't it hover. It needs to be snugged up tight or it will rattle. Wife runs 37" Trail Grapplers with that tire carrier. Have to use left hand to open it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dennis at Teraflex runs a 38" tire on his, maybe there's am adjustment that works. I'd give them a call.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah.... Looking back at all of the marketing videos for this thing and they are careful to only show it from an angle that hides the handle. I suspect he has the same problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler on mine and can use my right hand to open the door. I left the stock snubber on the left side of the door. It fits snug up against the tire and I'm not getting any rattling. I've been running the tire carrier for a bit over a year now with a 35" KM2 and now the 37" Nitto and haven't had any issues. I also run RotoPax cans on it using the Vector Offroad mounting system. I've carried 4 total 2gal cans on it with the tire, 2 of fuel and 2 of water.

Here is with 2 cans mounted. I did recently move the hi-lift inside and mount a 3rd can where it went on the TF accessory bracket. With the 4 cans out back it sticks out really far. Unfortunately I can't double stack them on the accessory mount as they're too thick and hit the tub when trying to open the tail gate. I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep my second fuel can, snow bashing this last trip I pretty much ran out of fuel and needed to borrow a fuel can from another rig to feel safe making it back to a gas station.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...
The Teraflex hinged tire mount has three threaded holes behind the tire (not sure what for) I bolted a spare Matalcloak bump-stop extension in that location and added my factory tire bump on the drivers side. It's not perfect, but at least I can open the door now with either hand.

I ended up using only one bump-stop puck.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure why all of my pics posted upside-down, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also run RotoPax cans on it using the Vector Offroad mounting system.

<Snip...>

With the 4 cans out back it sticks out really far. Unfortunately I can't double stack them on the accessory mount as they're too thick and hit the tub when trying to open the tail gate.
I'm looking at the Vector mount that I just bought, thinking that I might like to customize it a bit to mount two of the mounting plates, one above the other. The top one would sit higher than the tub, and allow me to stack cans. The lower plate would be for shovel/axe/pick/whatever.

I'm also thinking of the Teraflex accessory mount and rotopax bracket for the hi-lift. Leaving me the ability to mount some water cans on the hi-lift, while reserving the top exo rack for plenty of fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I could show you a pic of mine (37" MTR/K), but Dutch's looks just the same. You don't need the extra bump stops, but you do want that OEM bumper left in place, and the tire sidewall against the HD Hinge. Put the wheel studs in the highest hole for your 37, and be sure the mount is not clocked to the left (counterclockwise). If it's mounted correctly, there's just enough room to get your right hand in there to use the handle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting idea on modifying it. I added some vertical tubes the same diameter and width apart to mount the CHMSL and license plate above and below the cans respectively. I rushed it a bit so its not perfect but works good enough for me.

I might just remove the accessory mount and use a set of the rotopax mounts that attach to the spare tire with a ratchet strap. I can't remember who made it but I saw it on this forum somewhere. I wasn't a fan of how the rotopax cans mounted to the hi-lift and I also didn't like how high above the roof the hi-lift stuck up. Plus, having the metal hi-lift right next to the CB antennae is pretty damn stupid from a tuning perspective. TF obviously didn't think that one through.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's the one, but just the basic kit. I don't need or want that big box thing on top of the tire. Just the two side mounts with the strap is what I had in mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts