JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got tired of the stock bumper and decided to mangle it into a stubby(minus the plastic) till I can get the materials and time to fab my own permanent stubby w/stinger.
It got dark out and the garage doesnt have enough lighting so I'm currently only half done. What I did get done, I loosely hung onto the mounts.
Tomorow morn I will weld the seams and maybe some sheet metal across the front. Later(?) I will cut out holes for the stock fogs unless I get the heavy duty stubby done first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the seams welded on the ends and installed oem fogs.
I was going to cover the entire front face of bumper with some 1/8" sheet metal but decided to save the metal as this temp bumper will probly end up in the scrap heap later. So I covered the holes with plastic mud flap material and cut holes for fogs in them. It looks cheaply and poorly made but I don't care, it works for me. Not trying to win any beauty contests here.
Fog lights are pointed perfectly too as I used them on the way back home from an afternoon run monday.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I would go ahead and remove the fogs and tow hooks, and have the bumper Line-X's...I think it would look fine...save a boat load of cash over some 4 figure fashion statement.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wack off that lower crossmember too and weld in a piece of tube between the framerails. I'm doing this as soon as I have time. Smashed mine flat. lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
never mind saw it was a rubicon. oops. Make yourself a skid then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never mind saw it was a rubicon. oops. Make yourself a skid then.
Yah, the more I think about it the more I don't like that disco motor. Just one more thing that needs to be protected. And it's just a luxury item!
That thing may be up for sale some time in the future to make way for manual quik discos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go ahead and remove the fogs and tow hooks, and have the bumper Line-X's...I think it would look fine...save a boat load of cash over some 4 figure fashion statement.
I agree. While those aftermarket bumpers are great pieces of work, I just can't talk myself into buying one of them when I can fab my own simple design that gets the job done for a lot cheaper. Never had any training or extended experience with metal working but growing up with a welder/engineer for a father I have access to the tools I need and no hesitency use them.
That being said, I may just stick with this modified oem bumper and slap that sheet metal over the front any way. Then use it till I loose it!:D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Go ahead and Line -x it...less then a hundred dollars, less than 15 minutes in and out the door...you might want to add a low profile tubular grill guard...I think you have the potential for a keeper...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts