JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, sorry if this is a repeat but I searched the forums beforehand and couldn't find the info I'm looking for. So a question for those of you who have experience with the trails around Telluride and Ouray: I'm planning my first trip to the area this summer to camp and trail ride. Here's the basics- I've got a '15 JK Unlimited, 3"/2.5" lift, 35's. I'm re-geared to 4.88's but with open diffs. My question centers around necessary Mods to get the most out of my trip. Are skid plates a must? If so, which ones are most important? Also, should I be fine with the open differentials or am I gonna need lockers? I was actually thinking about doing just a front locker. So guys... Thoughts? Advice? Crossed fingers and prayers?! Thanks for anything useful you can pass along!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You can do pretty much every trail in the area in a stock jeep, even Poughkeepsie. Saw Subarus and stock Toyota Tacoma’s on most of the trails. I have done all the major trails there including Poughkeepsie. My brother had a basically stock sport 2door and I was able to spot him up pk. He had no issues anywhere else.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
^^ Agree. Did a lot of those trails (not Poughkeepsie, the wall would have voided my rental agreement) in a rented Suburban LT full of kids and potato salad. Funny seeing all the Jeep guys airing down and preparing for Armageddon on those trails.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Biggest hazard on these trails is avoidin' the hun'erds of tourists drivin' the fleets of rental jeeps.

No experience necessary ... just a driver's license and proof of insurance. I tend to give folks a wide berth on the trails in these areas. Never, EVER, assume the other driver even has the slightest fuckin' clue what they're doin'.

Have fun. Sure nuf pretty country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks for the info. Like I said, I've never been to the area but the pics I've seen look beautiful. I'll be sure to avoid the the speed bumps, er... Tourists I mean. (Even though I'll technically be a tourist myself). I just plan on driving there (from Texas) and didn't want to destroy anything that would keep me from driving it home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts