JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bull Elk hunt in Northern AZ starts on Fri. We have scouted and know where we plan to hunt. Lots of sign, some beasts, and little hunter traffic... Lucky for me, a friend of mine has a small plane and offered to do a little fly over this afternoon near sundown to see the chosen spot from the air. We needed to narrow down which of about 3 areas to start at on Friday morning. While we are still planning on scouting Wed afternoon and all day Thurs... how could I pass up an opportunity to fly it?! All I can say is AMAZING!!! I probably saw 400 Elk in about 30 minutes. This is a quick and low quality video I shot of the tank I am going to still hunt in to on opening morning... I counted about 110 Elk just at this water hole...

YouTube - Elk Scouting by Plane

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
by any chance would you have the GPS coords. for that tank....:D

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Hahaha that doesnt even seem sporting :thefinger:

·
Registered
17 Posts
No disrespect meant, but as a former hunting guide of 8 years, I don't agree with the flyover to find the herd. If a hunter can't get in to track and pursue an animal, they don't need to be hunting. Why not shoot from the plane or get a helicopter? I've done many elk hunts and had to push many miles for my prizes.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
So, what we're not supposed to scout to find the herd prior to setting out for the hunt?

C'mon, let's be serious. Technological advances should be welcome.

Unless, that is, you hunt with a sharp rock on the end of a stick.

Remember, it wouldn't be "sporting" to use a telescopic site or compound bow.

// end sarcasm //

1 - 9 of 9 Posts