JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 has what I would consider to be a severe squeak coming from the tailgate area. It seems to be mostly when the weather is cooler out and goes away when it's hot. Complained to dealer about it a while back and they adjusted tailgate and squeak went away. But the adjustment made it very hard to get the gate to close without slamming it hard.

Anyone else have this issue? How was it solved?

·
Registered
27 Posts
the one sure way to get rid of the squeak is to remove the spare tire from the tailgate
in the real world adjusting the striker plate and making sure that the hinge is properly lubed and not worn loose should help
having cracked the tailgate on my TJ I am a little gun shy of this whole issue and I replaced the hinge on my JK with the teraflex heavy duty hinge kit and not a squeak or peep from the back since very happy with the mod FWIW

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will look into that kit.

I forgot to mention that the dealer looked at it yesterday and said it wasn't squeaking. Probably because it had warmed up by the time they got it. Of course in this morning's cool temps it was worse than ever. They said they lubed it, but it didn't do a damned thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts