JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting on 35's soon and wanted to see what people did to mount their spares.......on stock rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
putting on 35's soon and wanted to see what people did to mount their spares.......on stock rear bumper.
Only thing I did was loosen up the bumper and raise it up just enough to allow the tire to rest on it. This took away most of the stress on the factory tire carrier. As tire sizes vary so much, your results may vary. The last pair of 35's I had were KM2's and they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Only thing I did was loosen up the bumper and raise it up just enough to allow the tire to rest on it. This took away most of the stress on the factory tire carrier. As tire sizes vary so much, your results may vary. The last pair of 35's I had were KM2's and they fit perfectly.
Mine rested great on my bumper and I didn't have any problems for a long time...until I backed into a tree and bent the gate up a little. Now I have some spot welds that look like they may give up somewhere down the road so I only throw the spare on there when I am going wheelin, which is about never anymore. Someday I will step up and get rear bumper with a carrier.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ran it as is for over a year. 2 of the spot welds closest to the hinges finally gave out a month or two ago. I was going to keep the spare in the trunk but I couldn't pass on a Teraflex HD hinge carrier on sale so I went that route.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The stock tire carrier is a bad idea

·
Registered
275 Posts
Teraflex HD tire carrier is the way I went. The tailgate opens and closes better now than it did with just the stock spare tire on it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Teraflex HD tire carrier is the way I went. The tailgate opens and closes better now than it did with just the stock spare tire on it.

Vector Exo Rack?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts