JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking a cue from PhilD on another forum, I got my tag relocation done (finally) this evening. 100% designed and fabricated from scratch. Pay no attention to the purple half halo on the next to last pic, it doesn't look like that in person.
Top tag bolts have led's in them. 3rd brake light is actually a led side marker lamp, DOT approved, bright as H-E-double hockey sticks.
Mounting plate and removable tag plate are 14ga steel, tubing is .125 wall 1x1 and 1.25x1.25. Both tubes are cut to 6 inches. Countersinks are 100 deg so I wouldn't blow out the back of the holes, screws are titanium aircraft type fasteners. I put the screws in so if I had to run without a spare I still had a tag.
I tapped the tag lights from the pass side taillight, the 3rd brake light from inside the tailgate. I removed the stock 3BL wiring and put a flat nylon plug in the hole. I used a standard trailer 4 position M/F wire harness.
I also chopped off ET's head:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow John!

That is pretty friggin cool. :beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Real nice job, very clean. Be a good place to mount a camera on the plate as well.:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
rockhard actually makes what you just built. same design for 50 bucks minus the light. good job though

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
rockhard actually makes what you just built. same design for 50 bucks minus the light. good job though
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that one. Didn't really care for the mounting plate, what's up with the slot? I would have had to modify it anyways, to make it stay on without the spare. I have about 50 bucks in mine, including the lights, plus I made it:D

If anyone wants the dimensioned drawings I can email in .dxf format.

·
Registered
78 Posts
John L, I like what you have done i'm new here can you tell how big of a tire you have on that. reason i ask is i am getting ready to put mt 35-BFGs on and wondered if it would fit. Tire carrier tag relocation kit Thanks J,C,

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John L, I like what you have done i'm new here can you tell how big of a tire you have on that. reason i ask is i am getting ready to put mt 35-BFGs on and wondered if it would fit. Tire carrier tag relocation kit Thanks J,C,
Welcome to the best JK forum on the net!!

I'm running a 15x8 rim, 33" tires. You should have no problems.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John, slightly off-topic, but do you ever do a write up on your transmission temp gauge?
Hey Phil, jeez I hope I didn't screw up, I don't have a transmission temp gauge. The three that I have are oil pressure, water temp and voltage.
If I ever wrote trans temp, I didn't mean to. Sorry:emb:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahah, John, looks like you can not escape getting in trouble for skipping the writeups!
I guess not:smokin:
But.....I did what I thought was a decent write up on the horn, maybe I was tooting to the wrong crowd:D

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I liked your horn write up. I considered doing it to my rig. That is if the horn "button" on the wheel wasn't so hard to push, lol :D Everytime I had to quickly honk at somebody I hit the middle of the wheel but nothin happened!! maybe I am just a weakling :mr-t:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Hey Phil, jeez I hope I didn't screw up, I don't have a transmission temp gauge. The three that I have are oil pressure, water temp and voltage.
If I ever wrote trans temp, I didn't mean to. Sorry:emb:
No it's me, my memory is failing me in my old age, I knew you added some gauges, at least I got that bit right ;)

Did you ever do a write up on the three you have?

A

·
0 Posts
That is if the horn "button" on the wheel wasn't so hard to push, lol :D Everytime I had to quickly honk at somebody I hit the middle of the wheel but nothin happened!!
If you start staying at Holiday Inn Express’s you’ll figure that out :thefinger::grinpimp::laughing:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts