JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First off I would like to give thanks to Dave over at Poly Performance and Kevin (UGET_IT) at Method Motorsports for hooking me up with with an awesome new product. I would also like to thank my friends Tom and Mike at Dog On Duty Off Road for a great install!

I went with the powder coated version . The louver arrived to my house well packed in a box tightly packaged in bubble wrap foam and plastic wrap. The Powder coat was very clean with zero flaws of chips to be found. The instructions where easy to fallow with clear and helpful photos.

We decided the best plan of attack would be to remove the hood by unbolting the hood from the back side of the hinges. By doing this we would not have to risk damaging the paint on the top of the hood. To access the bolts we had to remove the cowl panel. It took a couple extra steps but was worth not disturbing the top hinges.

Once removed we placed the hood on our work table that was covered in felt. The one snag we ran into was removing the plastic footman hoop. The first stud snapped and the second just spun in the plastic. After discarding the the footman hoop we moved on to placing the louver panel. we centered the panel on the washer nozzle and the holes from the footman hoop then we took measurements between the front and rear edges to ensure the louvers where set on straight. Once we where happy this the placement two people held the panel tight in place wile one marked all of the holes with a sharpie.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once drilled we Wrapped 2x4 in the felt to keep the hood off the table and flipped it over. I decided for now I would start with the minimal cut option. With a 1”wide steel ruler we marked a line 1” to the inside of the edge of the holes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To cut the holes Mike used an air cut off wheel with a carbon disk. He cut from the inside to minimize any damage to the exterior paint. Once cut he fallowed up with a grinding wheel to knock off the rough edges and we shot them with some paint to protect the hood from rust.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next we loosely tightened the accessible nuts and bolts.

at this point we chased the un accessible holes with a large drill bit so that we could get the nylon nuts secured to the bolts.

Now it was all down hill. We tightened down all of the bolts and reinstalled the hood onto the jeep.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Well, that looks pretty dang good. The stock JK hood is the worst looking Jeep hood ever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.