JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very quick. I already know 4 link is superior.
I am a mechanic at a shop. I’m also a TJ guy. We have an older gentleman that came in wanting the synergy 8” stretch with Currie Dana 60/70. His 2 door JK already has a nice evo stage 5 lift. He has done all the trails on Jeep badge of honor etc.
A guy in told him moab he shouldn’t go on a specific trail because of his wheelbase. The reason he wants a stretch.
Now I know the synergy kit is awful. Poor geo etc. I would rather 4 link it but my boss and the owner are leaning to the synergy kit. I told my boss he’s better off selling his jk buying a JKU than doing this project on his JK but he said we can’t tell him that. Also the owner doesn’t want to spend to much on the stretch but he also bought expensive axles so I don’t understand that. We already ordered Currie Dana 60/70 for him. Owner was against on moving the gas tank so 4 link is out of the question.
Now what I want from you guys is all the parts needed for 4 link in the rear. Trying to gather all the parts maximum for less headaches, cuss words and for the customer can get idea on price for the whole project.
Here are the parts I came up with
4 link Rear Suspension Brackets w/Rear Crossmember for Jeep JKU

For the control arms I just need to figure out a length and get them for ruffstuff or barnes. Leaning towards the Jhonny Joints but my boss likes heim joints and you guys know bosses don’t listen to their workers.
Will do the Tj gas tank mod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven’t even started getting parts together for the front. Owner doesn’t want to do nothing in the front but again I’m against this. Stock arms in the front and synergy stretch what a horrible combo. Possibly a 4 link hopefully.
My boss wants to give the customer what he wants but In this case the customer is not always right.
I feel like if we do the synergy kit with currie 60/70 and stock arms up front It’s not going to be a good setup and will put a bad name to our shop.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Welcome to JKO.
This post has shit show written all over it and I'm not sure anyone here would want a hand in it.
Sometimes what's best for the customer is simply telling them no. If your customer does not want to hear that, well, there's plenty of other puppy mill Jeep shops out there. We see their handiwork all the time.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The entire reason for wanting a stretch is because some guy said he can't do one particular trail without it?!
Which specific trail? I'm 99% sure someone has done it in a 2dr.
Driver experience is the limitation, not 8" of wheelbase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to JKO.
This post has shit show written all over it and I'm not sure anyone here would want a hand in it.
Sometimes what's best for the customer is simply telling them no. If your customer does not want to hear that, well, there's plenty of other puppy mill Jeep shops out there. We see their handiwork all the time.
Yes I agree with shit show. I don’t even want a hand in it but I’m the worker and I have to listen to my boss. I know it’s going to be a bigger project than my boss is expecting.

The entire reason for wanting a stretch is because some guy said he can't do one particular trail without it?!
Which specific trail? I'm 99% sure someone has done it in a 2dr.
Driver experience is the limitation, not 8" of wheelbase.
Correct. I think it was Waterfall at Moab. He has done a bunch of other trails with his JK and no limitation. His JK is nice and with this project we are just going to ruin it.

Im so confused. The customer is against moving the gas tank but you want to gather all the parts for a 4 link regardless?
Yes he doesn’t want to move the gas tank. I’m trying to gather all the parts for I can show them to my boss then he can show them to the customer and explain why the synergy kit is shit and 4 link is the way to go.
Believe me if I was my boss I would have told him to sell his nice jk and buy a LJ or a JKU than to do this project but bosses don’t listen to their workers.
The customer is around 60-70 years of age belongs to off Road group. If we do the synergy kit with Currie 60/70 and it doesn’t meet his expectations the whole off road group will not come back to us for putting such a lousy kit.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Gathering a parts list isnt going to help you accomplish anything. Educating the customer on the basics of suspension design and bind will and from the sound of things, it looks like that is something the customer would benefit from more than anything.

4 link isnt always the way to go. It removes any side to side movement through the travel arch but it comes at a cost. Your customer doesnt want to move his gas tank. I sympathize with him as I didnt want to move mine either. Id go with a Rock Krawler 3 link stretch (some on here are extremely opposed to RK, I am not) to give him the wheelbase and preserve the stock tank location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gathering a parts list isnt going to help you accomplish anything. Educating the customer on the basics of suspension design and bind will and from the sound of things, it looks like that is something the customer would benefit from more than anything.

4 link isnt always the way to go. It removes any side to side movement through the travel arch but it comes at a cost. Your customer doesnt want to move his gas tank. I sympathize with him as I didnt want to move mine either. Id go with a Rock Krawler 3 link stretch (some on here are extremely opposed to RK, I am not) to give him the wheelbase and preserve the stock tank location.
100% agree on you on informing the customer. The good/bad about the synergy kit and 4link but I can’t talk to customers and I’m afraid my boss won’t tell him the bad about the synergy kit.
The customer already has a nice evo lift on king 2.0 coil overs but I don’t think it’s a stretch like RK. I’ll inform my boss about this lift. I think the customer is set on the 8” stretch just because some guy told him he couldn’t do a trail. Which is stupid I wouldn’t stretch it just because of that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't forget rear gas tank relocations aren't legal and may fail in many states with inspections. Make sure that is even a viable option in the owner's state. Also rear gas tank, Dana 70, 8" stretch, 2-door, may be a near impossible combination.

I also agree that it is stupid for the owner to want a 8" stretch just to accomplish 1 trail. It is obvious that this owner probably has more sense than money considering he started of with Evo stuff. Evo may makes some decent parts but they sure are overpriced.

This owner could be in for $30,000-$40,000+ after all is said and done.
1. what is tire size now and after 1 tons?
2. Is he going to 8 lug, 5x5.5", or staying JK 5x5" lug pattern?
3. What width axles? stock, 68.5", 70", 72"
4. What engine and transmission does he have now?
5. What is going to be done for rear armor/fenders?
6. Is your Boss even that knowledgeable?

If 8" stretch and stock gas tank are going to happen; then I would look at some custom brackets and geometry. Synergy makes some good parts but I wouldn't go to all the work of 1-tons and 8" stretch and still use low hanging factory style brackets on the axle. I bet your Boss has those cartoon $$$$$ eyes when then guy walked in. This sounds like a disaster and learning experience for all individuals involved.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Wait what's so bad about the Synergy kit? It actually has some of the best geometry of kits on the market. The big down side is to achieve that in a reasonable product, the lowers hang down below the frame rails. But as long as the customer is ok with that, it's actually a fairly decent product...

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Since the owner of the jeep and the owner of the shop know best (in their mind) let them order all the parts and do what they want. Stay out of the mix and just do the work. I get these guys all the time that think they need this or that but won't do what is needed to actually do this or that right. As far as joints, I would use the Barnes Enduro joint if it is a daily driver and heims if it is a trail rig.

I don't see a tire size but assume 40". I hope you ordered at least a 72" WMS axle for a 40x13.5" tire. Yes you will want it that wide or more. I did a JKU with 74" WMS and it works extreamly well and he actually still runs factory front upper links.

For what this guy is going to spend, it is stupid not to move to a fuel cell, even if you have to have a custom low profile one done to keep usable space in the rear. For the best performance you are going to want a double triangulated 4 link rear. Should he not like the synergy kit make it clear to him that it will cost more to remove the kit and go with a paralell 4 link in the future. I don't think 8" is enough and would aim at getting the rear tires to or past the farthest rear overhang. Realisitcly you are going to have 60-80 hours in the axle swap and new suspension, about $1000 in brackets and bridges. and about $1000 in links. I would also not mess around with using seperate coils and shocks and would only do the job on coil overs or ORI struts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts