JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some wiring help guys. I have the ace engineering bumper and the lifetime leds in the bumper. Want them to come on when in reverse AND switched to the Contura Rocker switch to be able to turn on manually (unloading camping gear at night).

Wired the rocker switch like i've seen and with the accessory lead from pin 3 into 85 on the relay. So switch lights work. To get into reverse I pulled the left rear light found the white/green and black ground going to the reverse bulb and tapped both. Ran the wire tap from white/green also into pin 85 on the relay and wire tapped the black ground on the reverse and ran to pin 86 of the relay.

It works. flip switch = light on. Put in reverse = lights on.

Hit the brakes and the damn lights lit up blinding everyone behind me last night driving home = WTF?

Any ideas? I'm wondering is it the grounding?

Attachments

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Put diodes inline in the 2 wires headed into the 85 terminal on your relay (so no backfeed)

and​

run a dedicated ground to your 86 terminal (so you don't piss off the CANBUS).

Should be good to go after that. Gotta' run to lunch, hope the quick reply did it for you.

EDIT: Move your 30A fuse to the wire feeding terminal #30 on the relay, and put a ~5A fuse going to the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Size diode?
triangle symbol of diode pointing in the direction of the relay or towards switch?

thanks

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Size diode?
I'd go with 50V 1A - plenty of safety factor there. If Radio Shack still exists, their P/N = 276-1101.

triangle symbol of diode pointing in the direction of the relay or towards switch?
THIS LINK has all your diode orientation questions answered. If that doesn't work, HERE is a direct link.

thanks
:beer:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Ok, I won't respond to your PM since my reverse light is wired directly into the reverse circuit without switch or relay.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
. . . my reverse light is wired directly into the reverse circuit without switch or relay.
Same here. I bought the diodes, then said "fookit" and decided to keep everything stupid-simple.
I figger'd that I can turn the key on and throw it in reverse (not running) if I need light out back (or use my rock lights).

Ok, I won't respond to your PM since . . .
:idea: - you should send him a PM telling him you posted in his thread telling him you won't send him a PM :laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved with proper grounding relay to the tub. The harness/reverse black ground is a floating ground and was causing the crossovers. I appreciate the responses and will be adding the diode for the hell of it as I had already gotten then before trouble-shooting.

Jeep on

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Problem solved with proper grounding relay to the tub. The harness/reverse black ground is a floating ground and was causing the crossovers. I appreciate the responses and will be adding the diode for the hell of it as I had already gotten then before trouble-shooting.

Jeep on
Did you get my PM telling you that I was posting in this thread and in this thread telling you I wasn't sending a PM?

:grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts